Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to convert my '64 wagon to power steering and using '65 parts. I've got everything steering wise from a '65 mustang with eaton powersteering. I know the steering input shaft on the box will be too long but I'll either cut it down or just run a mustang collumn.

Now the final problem befor I install all this is the '65 mustang center link is too wide apparently from what I've heard. Now this doesn't really make any sense to me as I will be using all of the other mustang stuff but whatever I'd hate to tear apairt the falcon and find out half way through I have the wrong center link.

So I need a 65 Falcon power steering center link as a '64 will not fit with the mustang parts (Falcon steering got completely redesigned near the end of 1964). Ive looked around and everybody only has the manual links. Anybody know of a place that has 'em?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good luck finding one. I had to replace mine because the control valve ball link was bent. I put in the Mustang drag link even though I was told it would not work. I measured the connection points and determined the extra length was on the passenger side and adjusted the tie rods accordingly. I still have to take it for an alignment but it seems to drive O.K. Try this link for more info.

http://www.stangerssite.com/partsindex.html

They might be able to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Really it drives ok? I didn't think it would even fit. How soon are you going to align it? I'd be curious to see what happens.

So the idler, pitman, and ram mounting locations are the same from falcon to mustang but the passenger tierod mount is located further out on the mustang?

Im thinking of having my welder buddy look at it to see if he can narrow the mustang one. Do you know how much narrower they are Bluebird?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just a idea, you can change it over to a " Borgeson " P.S gear , uses standard center link . It is a larger unit than what came in your car and is not cheap. It may not work with an original clutch linkage or some headers. You can check it out by going to their site or just search, " 64 falcon Borgeson steering " . They sell all the parts to change it over. I wish i had done it instead of rebuilding the crap that ford put on them,i think it would have been a better way for me to have gone.:)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Im thinking of having my welder buddy look at it to see if he can narrow the mustang one.
The centerlink is tempered steel. Once you apply heat the centerlink will be brittle and it could snap in two under stress. This is where trying to save a dollar could cost you your life...or someone else’s life. Find the correct part and sleep better knowing the job was done right.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The centerlink is tempered steel. Once you apply heat the centerlink will be brittle and it could snap in two under stress. This is where trying to save a dollar could cost you your life...or someone else’s life. Find the correct part and sleep better knowing the job was done right.
This.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd rather just buy one anyways. I wanted to use the Borgeson box a first but I have clutch linkage right next to the box and long tube headers so I doubt it would fit. That and I'd end up spending over $600 for a box and a pump when I already have stock ones.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The Borgeson box won't work with the z-bar used in a mustang but it will work if you use the early falcon z-bar. The early falcon z-bar will also allow the box to work in an early mustang but those in the mustang world don't know that. Because the upper lever is next to the fender it goes out around the box. Only issue may be getting the right fittings for the hoses to connect to the box. The coupling for the shaft to box ends up right at the floor level but that can be compensated for.

R

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Now I feel bad. I threw away a 65 power steering center link about two months ago. Keep an eye on the classifieds here and eBay. They do come up occasionally.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Now I feel bad. I threw away a 65 power steering center link about two months ago. Keep an eye on the classifieds here and eBay. They do come up occasionally.
Why would you throw that piece away? It's worth money to others who need it. It also can be easily converted to non-power by use of an aftermarket adapter. Just remove the control valve and add the adapter. Will still work for manual steering.
R

·
Registered
465 Posts
Cutting and rewelding a centerlink back together is probably not a good idea. But there are other ways to put them together so they are still strong and reliable.
R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts