Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
im working on a 1965 ranchero that a previous owner had but never finished. It’s complete now but I can’t get the rear blinkers to function. The fronts and the interior indicators work but not the backs. The brake and tail lights work as they should. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi guys,
im working on a 1965 ranchero that a previous owner had but never finished. It’s complete now ...
Rob
If you have the stock steering wheel set-up, I would look at the turn signal switch wiring behind the steering wheel. If you need the wiring diagram print these. Check to see if you have your voltage to the wires in the plug at the base of the steering column.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the wiring diagrams BlueBird. The turn switch diagram is blurry and I can’t read the wording. Do you possibly have another copy?

·
Registered
372 Posts

Sorry this one is so HUGE.
The basic wiring didn't change through the years, so the function is still the same and the wire colors are probably correct also. Check this link for more.

Let us know your progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the clearer wiring diagram.
Worked on it today. I found that the previous owner had replaced the turn signal switch and didn’t connect the rear blinker wires from the columan but yet the 6 plug connector from the chassis wiring harness was full. Then I realized that he had connected the brake light wiring directly to the brake switch, thus having brake lights but no rear blinkers. I connected the rear blinker wires as per the factory wiring diagram. At this point I was fairly certain that all the wiring was correct. That did get the left rear blinker to work but then the left front didn’t along with the dash indicator stopped working. The right rear blinker would still not work, only the right front. After checking continuity and tracing power, I found that the new turn signal switch was not making good contact. with the steering wheel off and appying pressure on the switch, everything worked correctly. I was able to tighten up the switch and all is good. Thanks for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Now I just have to figure out why the new speedometer is reading about twice as fast as travel speed. The old one read very accurately. It was only replaced because it looked old. It’s my understanding that the speedo should have no effect. I would have had to change the gear in the trani or tire size which I did neither.
Thanks again,
Rob

·
Registered
372 Posts
Did you get a Canadian spedo by mistake? It might be reading kph. If not, you could compare the mechanicals to the original to see if anything has been "rebuilt", replaced, or misaligned with the gearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you are talking about the gearing being misaligned, are you referring to the internals of the speedo cause we didn’t do anything but replace the speedo.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When you are talking about the gearing being misaligned, are you referring to the internals of the speedo cause we didn’t do anything but replace the speedo.

I was referring to the speedo. Previous owner modified/cleaned and reassembled or maybe a hard jolt in transit if you bought it on line etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the new speedo came in a box of items when the car was purchased, still in its original box. The box was in very good condition. No visible damage but I’m sure it was purchased on line at some point.
i decided to reinstall the original speedo. When inspecting the original, I could see the ford inscriptiat the lower right corner. I did not see that on the replacement, so obviously a reproduction. Also I saw no notation on either referring to mph or kph but think the replacement may very well been in kph in the way the speed registered and also the odometer read equally.
the original is working properly so I will just leave it.
Thanks foe your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts