Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I need to change out my worn 65 V8 Ranchero front suspension (Granada Brakes). Has anyone gone Negative Roll, Coilover, or Strut (RRS, Fatman)? I drive mine daily so it has to be tough and reliable, and of course better handling is always a plus. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I put a Mustang II kit from Arizona Ford in my 64 Comet. Best conversion I ever did. Great handleing,tight feel, no raddles and squeaks, and no shock towers and did I mention no shock towers!!!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I went the other route with all of the improved mustang suspension.
Global West non tubular control arms, Shelby drop, 620 springs, KYB gas adjust, Mustang shock tower caps (for future shock upgrade), rebuilt 65GT Mustang 16:1 steering gearbox (manual) with spear of death shortened to a nub and machined to receive a DD connection and Ididit tilt steering column, Open tracker roller perches and bearing pitman arm, TCP adj. struts, Granada disc conversion, 1 1/4 sway bar TCP export bracing system and also a after market under engine brace. And I still have my shock towers, did I mention that I still had my shock towers?

Different strokes... let us know where you end up.
Ras Daniel

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
That is a good question projim. I can not view your pic and I'm not buying any dog food or litter to do so. Seems you have to register to become a member and give out your email address to view the pics...
I had a specific goal in mind what I wanted my car to look like and how I wanted it to perform as did you.
I did my home work, and picked a lot of brains. The Forum has been a great source of information. I did not want to completely hack up my sprint to the point where the damage or the mods were irreversible as in dumping all of my current front suspension, welding in a new cross member and cutting out my stock shock towers. Although it is a clean look and has its advantages, Hell who would not like more space in the engine compartment? And I have no intention of trying to shove a big block under my hood since I'm partial to small block Fords.
MII front ends make great for awesome street rods and cruisers but lacking in the performance department. I have heard tales of guys who have set up that suspension on track cars for their vintage Mustangs and Falcons and went back to the stock set up. I was on the fence for some time as I was laying out the scope of my project a while back.

I was on the fence for some time as I was laying out the scope of my project a while back but the more I read, I eventually decided it was not the route I was going to take. After seeing this Mustang at a local show here in LA I was sold on this configuration and there was no doubt..

I also found the owner of this car "Mike Duran". It and Terry Colley's Falcon http://www.westcoastfalcons.com/scff/racing/racing1.htm had been two to inspire me to set mine up the way I did. Mike, Opentracker among others gave me a great deal of specifics in helping me set up my suspension and I'm quite happy with the choice that I made.

So, this was the route I took. I still got my towers, that’s my story and I'm sticking to it.

There are plenty of MII Falcons on this site and everyone seems to be quite happy with their set up. But then we all have different driving styles. Like I said “different strokes for different folks”
Post a pic of your Comet I as well as other members here would enjoy seeing what you have done to it.
Ras Daniel

·
Registered
87 Posts
I understand what your saying I am just messing with you. I am not that great with this picture stuff . I will try to get some pictures on here. You can see my car in the December issue of Hot Rod Magazine if you have one. It is a red 64 prostreet Comet Caliente.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Here is the engine , I hope the picture link works.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: projim64 on 1/25/07 10:25am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Projim64, I have the December issue of Hot Rod, very nice Comet, helluva job.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks,did you ever find the parts you were looking for ? I just have been realy busy with work and the holidays.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
On 2007-01-24 19:01, projim64 wrote:
I understand what your saying I am just messing with you. I am not that great with this picture stuff . I will try to get some pictures on here. You can see my car in the December issue of Hot Rod Magazine if you have one. It is a red 64 prostreet Comet Caliente.
Messing with me, why on earth would you do that????

Nice looking Comet! Did I say that net to Falcons I'm a big Comet fan?
That is some piece of work you got there. I will hit the news stand tomorrow and pick up the new Hot Rod just so I can see the rest of it.
And did I say that "I still have my shock towers!"
Ras Daniel

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Projim64, check your PM.

·
Registered
87 Posts
lets try this again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not the best shot but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Very nice Projim! I saw the black wagon you posted as well that is a sweet lookin pair of machines you got there.
Did you do the same suspension set up on both cars? Manual racks I assume and how do you like them?
Ras Daniel

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732653

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Iethiopian on 1/28/07 10:01am ]</font>

·
Registered
87 Posts
The red car has a manual rack and is very easy to steer, considering it has cookie cutter tires on it .It is a little harder than the stock steering. The dark blue car has a stock suspension for now until I get the stuff together to do the conversion. Thanks for the compliments,Jim.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
On 2007-01-27 18:43, Iethiopian wrote:
Very nice Projim! I saw the black wagon you posted as well that is a sweet lookin pair of machines you got there.
Did you do the same suspension set up on both cars? Manual racks I assume and how do you like them?
Ras Daniel

·
Registered
87 Posts
I checked out your car on car domain looks cool . I like the road race theme. I have a friend near here that is in to 63 to 65 Falcons. I think he has 5 or 6 of them. I am partial to the 64 Comets and have 5 right now. Most are projects for the far off future when my 4 year old son is able to help work on them with me. What about your 2 cars are they drivers or ongoing projects?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
On 2007-01-27 19:14, projim64 wrote:
I checked out your car on car domain looks cool . I like the road race theme. I have a friend near here that is in to 63 to 65 Falcons. I think he has 5 or 6 of them. I am partial to the 64 Comets and have 5 right now. Most are projects for the far off future when my 4 year old son is able to help work on them with me. What about your 2 cars are they drivers or ongoing projects?
Thanks, that site might need some work since it has been a while since last I was on it. When I first got this car I found car domain and thought it an easy way to share images and ideas with friends.
I met a Mustang guy some years back and his observation was that most Falcon guys he came across always had more than one. I guess that holds true for Comet owners as well.
I only pull the 64 out on weekends if I have the time to make a run in it. Same with the 63, it is a little grocery getter. Both are ongoing projects as I'm not done with either.
I'm rather partial to the 63-65 hard tops myself. The 64 is a keeper and I will flip the 63 once I’m happy with it and then I will look for another project to get into. I have come to like the 250 I6 in the 63 so I will be building it up in front of that T-5, cam it, sm 4V carb, headers and new cooling system, interior, paint wheels and stance. An Aussie head would be nice.
I almost bought a 64 Comet a few years back....Hummmmm.
Ras Daniel

1 - 20 of 27 Posts