Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a stone stock '65 Sprint with a 2bbl carb, with which I have always had trouble. Tired of it, and want to replace it with a correct 4bbl. I know, correct is what came on the car, and I will keep all original parts together. What I want is what would have come on the car had it come stock witha 4bbl. I am familliar with Chevy stuff, casting nimbers etc., but am woefully ignorant of how the Ford stuff works. Any schooling would be gratefully appreciated. This car has been in my familly for years, and I want to start getting it in better shape.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Thanks for what? You didn't tell us if you had a 200 inline 6 or a 289 or a 260....
Being a 65 Sprint, I'd bet a 289, they NEVER came factory with a 4 barrel, dealer would install one for you, but that being said, a Performer 289 is a bolt on, easy to find, just bought one that looks new for $65, so also cheap if you look around, grind off the names, paint it black, buy a 600 cfm carb of your choise, I used a #1406 Edelbrock, with electric choke, works great, and under the stock air cleaner, NOBODY can even tell you changed it......

John

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,
I have a stone stock '65 Sprint with a 2bbl carb, with which I have always had trouble. Tired of it, and want to replace it with a correct 4bbl. I know, correct is what came on the car, and I will keep all original parts together. What I want is what would have come on the car had it come stock witha 4bbl. I am familliar with Chevy stuff, casting nimbers etc., but am woefully ignorant of how the Ford stuff works. Any schooling would be gratefully appreciated. This car has been in my familly for years, and I want to start getting it in better shape.
Thank you!
Kate, youll want to look for a factory cast iron 4bbl manifold p/n's C5AE or C5OE-9425-A. The "C5" in the number indicates the year it was intended for...in this case 1965.
For the carb look for an Autolite C5ZF-A, C or D 1.08" venturi automatic choke 4bbl.
These factory parts would be correct for your car had it come from the factory with a 4bbl carb (we know they didnt) and your 2bbl linkage will bolt right up too.

Joe

·
Registered
337 Posts
Kate, youll want to look for a factory cast iron 4bbl manifold p/n's C5AE or C5OE-9425-A. The "C5" in the number indicates the year it was intended for...in this case 1965.
For the carb look for an Autolite C5ZF-A, C or D 1.08" venturi automatic choke 4bbl.
These factory parts would be correct for your car had it come from the factory with a 4bbl carb (we know they didnt) and your 2bbl linkage will bolt right up too.

Joe
Joe is correct. One other point, most after market alum manifolds don't have the mount for the throttle linkage tri-pod used on Falcons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts