Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a bearing or seal on my steering shaft in the column? I changed the bearing and seal in my Dads 66 T-Bird because there was play in the wheel. His was easy because the shaft came out of the steering box, and actually the bearing was good it was the plastic race piece in the column itself. I have a good amount of play in my Falcon and was wondering if it had the same thing AND how would you change it without pulling the box, seeing the box and shaft are all one piece. Anyone done this?

One more question. The guy I got the car off of gave me the original steering wheel, and I want to put it back on. Question is; how does the horn piece come off? Its all together and I have tried pulling it, and light prying, and I can not get it off. I dont want to break it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
To get the horn button off, press down as if you were honking the horn ans twist it counter clockwise. There are three tabs that are holding it in place. Sorry I dont know about the inner workings of the column.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To get the horn button off, press down as if you were honking the horn ans twist it counter clockwise. There are three tabs that are holding it in place. Sorry I dont know about the inner workings of the column.
Thanks. I actually searched the net for a few hours and there is a plastic bearing sleeve and a bearing. Just dont know if I can replace them with the steering shaft in place.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
The bearing in the top of the column can be replaced once the steering wheel is off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the bearing today. The new one has as much play as the old one, I could have left it alone. I was really surprised. I also re-used the sleave because the one in there was metal and the replacement was plastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts