Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a TUFF STUFF one wire alternator and the wire stud hits the head. Has anyone else used a one wire that ran into this?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Use a longer belt to let the alt move away from the head.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You could go to the small case g3.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not a fan of one wire alternators. Went with a later 3G alt on my Ranchero and love it. Fit perfectly using the stock brackets.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I got a TUFF STUFF one wire alternator and the wire stud hits the head. Has anyone else used a one wire that ran into this?

Try clocking the ALT.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Indeed you can rotate ("clock") the alternator rear case half to move the stud out or the way. I would also suggest though, that the Ford 3G is a newer and better design, with substantially better performance at the same amp rating. Yes, you can get them under $100, the rear case of those is also clockable, and they fit like Ford made it. LOL You can also keep your gauge functional or your charge (ALT, BAT or GEN) light with them if you have one of those.

An application example would be a Ford 3G to fit a 1994 Mustang 5.0L. Some of the references you find use a Taurus version, which I do not recommend, as they have wider mount spacing and often have clearance or bracket issues.

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts