Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the fairlane or stang...same or different part. if there were dual ...was the single for 6cyl.? this is about calipers not master!
reason i ask is i have a chance to get some from a stang but they are single, my other fairlane has front stock disc, but its not here in front of me to look at. of course i will make sure its not 4 lug as i have 5(not sure it makes a difference) but thanks in advance! good day

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Single piston calipers were used in 1968 and up, previous set up was 4 piston. Single's will swap onto early cars but you need the matching spindle. The singles were used up till the 1973 Mustang and up to 1971 intermediate. Stu

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-06-10 10:49, trukstopcowboy wrote:
for the fairlane or stang...same or different part. if there were dual ...was the single for 6cyl.? this is about calipers not master!
reason i ask is i have a chance to get some from a stang but they are single, my other fairlane has front stock disc, but its not here in front of me to look at. of course i will make sure its not 4 lug as i have 5(not sure it makes a difference) but thanks in advance! good day
Some where around and about ~ 70, when Ford started putting disc brakes on the front of most cars...all ford caliphers were single piston. The kelsey-hayes,from 65 - on up, on galaxies (big Ford brand passenger cars) and Thunderbirds was an extra cost option. They were the only ones with multi-pistons. The dropped off the build sheet because people were more inclined to spend extra on a two-tone, metallic paint job than on safety equipment ... I knew guys that would spend a weekend taking seat belts out of their car - got tired of then messing up the upholstery or getting burned when they sat on the buckles after the sun had got them hot.

As you know, we all ate red meat, drank and drove, put the babies in the back window to let them get som sleep on long drives and generally believed in the idea that a gas pedal would get you out of a bad situation better, faster, safer than brakes. A speeding ticket was mostly given as a result of bad driving (except in small towns that were by-passed by the freeway)...., not a source of revenue.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks.
so i got the rotors and calipers and brackets, guess they wont fit though.

anyone have some 69 spindles?! are those the big bearing ones? i know those are on my list of wants. guess i could call some places ie cobra auto, or maeco

and lastly are the single piston calipers any good? i hear of 4 piston brakes but i dont think i need em, and these new calipers are one huge 2.5 in piston. i figure so long as they work i will have good braking.

thanks again

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
1970 is when they went to the big bearings.

This is a quote I saved from a post here somewhere. Credit to original poster...

----------------

"When Ford upgraded the bearings in 1970 on small and intermediate cars, they went from A2/A6 bearings to A12/A13 bearings, which had different ID's, but the same OD. Consequently, you can use the later hubs on the earlier spindles, if you use the correct bearings.

Interestingly, from 1970 on, Ford used the same bearing combo for ALL cars, from Pinto to Thunderbird!

The 60's big cars used a A3/A5 combo, which has a different OD than the A12/A13 bearing, so those spindles don't accept newer hubs."

-------------

'68 and '69 have the smaller bearings but the brackets and calipers etc will swap.
The single piston brakes are fine for street use. I find they have a somewhat complicated holddown and alignment bracket system. I have had several cars with this setup and they have worked well. Now if you want to go slaloming you'll want something better like a Baer or SSB system etc. Stu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts