Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a Chevy guy, but in the past few years really came to love the Galaxies, and finally, recently bought a '66 390 4sp.

The dash pad was off and sitting in the back seat, but I was told by the seller it just needed a cap, so I ordered one from Dearborn. When the cap arrived, it didn't fit. I took a longer look at the dash area, instrument panel, dash pad etc., and it's clear they are all for a '67.

The car is for fun, and not an original restoration by any stretch of the imagination (the engine is from a '61 PI, so obviously not numbers-matching), but I'd prefer the instrument panel and dash to be '66.

Underneath the dash pad is a metal framework that stretches the width of the vehicle, and it looks very similar to that of a '67, so I'm wondering if I can swap in a '66 instrument panel/cluster/area, and a '66 dash pad. Or, does the presence of a '67 instrument area and dash pad indicate that the underlying dash structure has been altered from original, and the '66 pieces won't fit? Bascially, is the metal framework the same?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I never heard of anyone doing that. However the 66 and 67 are probably close enough that a swap is not impossible. If I recall correctly the 67 dash assy bolts onto the body, don't know about 66. I would think the biggest issue would be the wiring harness. If your 66 has a 67 dash you may find the wiring all hacked up behind the dash.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Not to be a smart-a$$ but are you sure the car isn't a '67?

The whole dash top to bottom would have had to have been swapped, you can't just swap out the clusters, they are a completely different dash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts