Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this could be helpful, its from another thread/pvt message:

"ok hold on before you buy much more.

your 67 cougar is just like a 67 mustang and just like my 67 fairlane, especially in the front suspension.

but on that assumption that im 99.999% sure of, here is your answer to your disk brake swop.

Mustang Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit 4 Pist Caliper | eBay

this vintage to year disk brake kit will make it soooo much simpler on your disk brake switch.

why? because you DO NOT need to replace your spindles. doesnt matter if your car has drums. the spindles are the same for disk.

this way if you need to replace a part on your/these disk brakes; every bit of it can be found at your local parts store. :)

nice right?

now if that price is too hefty or you dont have/want to blow $800+. you can piece all the parts you need from your local auto parts store and or cougar/mustang/fairlane parts books.
even nicer right?

with the exception of this part.

this part i found on ebay:
65 66 67 Mustang Comet Disc Brake Brackets Quality SSBC | eBay
and the only fabricating i had to do was cut and flange a bigger fitting on the end of the brake line that connects to your rubber brake line/hose to your calipers. drum brake hoses are a bit different then disk for what ever reason.

i run power brakes. which i prefer, but i can tell you my 4pistone vintage 67 disk brakes work wonderfully. especially with a booster.
heres my favorite booster.

which i have no idea if this type is applicable, it most likely is.

here is my not so favorite booster.

make sure to verify that i am right before buying lol

hope this helps.

PS you do not NEED a proportioning valve if your cougar still has rear drum brakes. but it can never hurt.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
this could be helpful, its from another thread/pvt message:

"your 67 cougar is just like a 67 mustang and just like my 67 fairlane, especially in the front suspension."

but on that assumption that im 99.999% sure of, here is your answer to your disk brake swop.
All good info (and they brake much better than the GM sliding caliper style).

Now this statement is where it gets dicey-

PS you do not NEED a proportioning valve if your cougar still has rear drum brakes. but it can never hurt.
Any front disc upgrade has to have a disc/drum MC, pressure differential valve, a metering valve and the proper proportioning valve.

Let the games begin... ;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good info (and they brake much better than the GM sliding caliper style).

Now this statement is where it gets dicey-

Any front disc upgrade has to have a disc/drum MC, pressure differential valve, a metering valve and the proper proportioning valve.

Let the games begin... ;)
:tup: ive been told both. yes and no.

thanks KULTULZ

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I got my disc brake conversion kit from CSRP and it's made of every thing you can buy at a parts store plus it uses the stock spindles. It came with a MC for disc/drums and a proportioning valve too. Works great but now I need discs on the back to make it even better. I got my kit for $600 just had to supply the new front brake lines. Easy install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts