Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, After I destroyed my drivers door window regulator mechanism I installed one I found at a salvage yard which works but it's not going to last long being 40+ yrs old.
I did some research and thought a 67 Mustang regulator would work but the dimensions were off just enough that it wouldn't work BUT.

I did manage a fix that works great with your old regulator if the crank mechanism went bad. So now I've got this New 67 regulator that I can't use but I figured I might be able to use the crank mechanism since I paid $75 for this regulator! Try finding a new 66-67 Fairlane regulator!

This first pic is what's left of my old mechanism which I destroyed by squirting WD-40 into it thinking it would make it work better......it didn't! The guts are all destroyed!

You'll also notice a very old 6 tooth gear mechanism from a 4DR 66 Fairlane (upper left) that I thought would work but the over all length is shorter and won't work in the 66-67 HDTP door regulators if you want to put the handle on....LOL. Then you see to the right of that a 7 tooth gear which came out of that New 67 Mustang crank mechanism which won't work on the 66-67 Fairlane regulators since the gearing is different between the Fairlane and Mustang! These gears can be switched easy thankgod! (note the small bolt and nut near the lower left.....you'll need 3 sets of these later)

Here you can see the difference in the gear teeth count. All I did was take the Mustang crank mechanism out of the new regulator, I had to drill the rivets out to take the mechanism out and then pull the gear tooth part right out and then replace it with the 6 tooth gear from the destroyed 66 Fairlane mechanism. I did notice the shaft on the Mustang mechanism was a smaller diameter so the 6 tooth gear was a little loose but after finishing my beer I cut a small piece of the can and made a sleeve for the shaft so the 6 tooth gear fit tighter.....it worked great! The over length of the whole unit was perfect too!

In the below pic you can see the 66 Fairlane regulator with the new installed mechanism from the Mustang regulator. The Mustang regulator is hanging to the right.....which is no good except for maybe the rollers later if needed.

Here's a close up of the installed mechanism which works great and it's tight and operates smoothly!

There's one area I must get clear about this switch......be very careful taking out the old mechanism and replacing it with the new one!!!! I clamped down the regulator in several areas so that arm wouldn't swing around and take off my digits! That coiled spring is very dangerous and I was nervous as hell when I took out the old mechanism and replaced it. You will have to swing that main arm around to the arch of teeth and clamp it down before you install the new mechanism with the 6 tooth gear in it! Make sure you grease up that mechanism before you replace it. Same applies to taking out the new mechanism from the 67 Mustang regulator!

One last thing......the handle screws will not interchange so you'll have to use handle screws for a 67 Mustang since the mechanism is different now. I ordered new screws when I ordered the 67 Mustang regulator just incase. You can still use the Fairlane handle but you'll need a Mustang handle screw now. The threads are different but very close and if your not careful you can cross thread it. Now all I have to do is install the repaired regulator and get on to something else.

·
Registered
262 Posts
HA! something else! Youve come along way with that car just by going on to 'something else" Good job!
My drivers side on my 67 Gets stiff after a while, I just shoot the pis outta it with PB blaster till it rolls free.
Good to know the mustang regs are different . I almost baught a drivers door for 100$ off a 67 mustang. I figured i would teach myself some body work on it, and have a working regulator, but seein it was for 100 $, i pass.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Angus, When I said move on to something else I meant other things that need fixed on her......like new idle pullies, better dizzy, a new fuel line, fixing the alignment of two windows which I really hate to do, add a MAD relay headlight kit, shift kit in the new used valve body and install it, fix some wiring the right way, get my remote radio stationary so connections stop coming loose and if that wasn't enough I have two lower ball joints that need replaced. LOL! That should do it for a little while, at least I have all that stuff ready and waiting but I think it's enough.

This window regulator crank mechanism swap was another fix but I wanted to show that it can be done if you can't find a working Fairlane regulator. It's costly but your window will work again.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys, I noticed all the pics went away and I wanted to put them back on the this thread but there's no edit option for some reason, so if anyone needs pics to see what I did then please let me know and I'll send them to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys, I noticed all the pics went away and I wanted to put them back on the this thread but there's no edit option for some reason, so if anyone needs pics to see what I did then please let me know and I'll send them to you.
Rick,
I would like to get your pics of the regulator repair. I am new to this site and not sure how to respond to your offer. Hope this works. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Rick, I have a 67 Fairlane 500 and my window regulator is shot. It it would be helpful if I can see the pics of your window regulator swap. Can you email me the pics? [email protected]?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts