Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 litre, single MC and want to change it over to a dual. I have read all the posts but they all seem to talk about drum to disc or drum to drum or non power to power drum. I have power disc already drums in back and just want to change over to the dual MC. I have a cylindrical brake something under the car connected to the rear brake lines. I think this is a proportioning valve. Does anyone know, it says Kelsey Hayes on it plus a part number. So here is my real question, do I just need to run the dual rear brake lines into this KH device and then to the rear brakes, and then run the front brakes into the junction block (brass) that is already there. If anyone knows please let me know.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is what I did with my 66. I have the same set up as you. All I did was take a new MC from a 68 with power disk brakes and mounted it up. Round thing is the perportioning valve. I got rid of that and used an adjustable one. My original was rebuilt and shortly after it would not release pressure from the rear. The way I plumbed the lines is the first bowl closest to the fire wall to the brass block mounted to the frame. Plug the hole that goes to the original perpertioning valve off of the brass block, if you want to stop that is ;) . Then the other bowl to the perpertioning valve then to the rear. I can take some pictures the next time I get out to the garage if you are like me and need to see it.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Also may be some MC's out there with the proportioning valve built into them, that bolt right up to the booster? Save some bucks if you can figure out which one.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coal,
Thanks, I would like some pictures if you have the time, they would help me. They always help the mechanical type. I would like to use the Hayes valve if I can. My car is a 7 litre convertible and want it to go back as stock as I can get it. I have done some research on the web and it is the proportioning valve. Did you rebuild yours before it got stuck again?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Jim, I'll take some pics of mine today. I've got my fender and wheel well off and it makes for good pics of the way mine is set up. It's pretty similar to what you are doing. It's a 66 7 Litre with stock front discs, a 68 dual MC and Thunderbird booster. I'll have to look at the proportioner though, I don't remember who makes it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
292 Posts

It's a little dirty but this is a pic of mine

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sardog,
Thanks, it looks great, why did you use a 68 instead of 67 dual MC? Any reason? Any differents? Did you use your old Power Booster, just rebuild it?

JIM

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
The previous owner used the 68 because that's what he could find. Mind you that was before the Internet was commonly used. I got it with the brakes all replaced and upgraded to DOT 5 but no booster. All I could get my hands on new with out waiting "I'm impatient" was a booster for a thunderbird. The hood clearance was fine so I installed it. I still need to do some fluid bleeding and air bubble chasing but it works.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had rebuilt my proportioning valve a few years ago when I got the car back on the road after a 10 year sleep. It worked well for a while but for some unknown reason it would not release pressure form the rear. This made it a bit annoying when you pulled out and not good for the brake shoes. The valve always leaked so for the price I just got an adjustable one and kept the original just to have.

I too run DOT-5 fluid. It is not hygroscopic and will not hurt paint. But be sure to clean or better yet replace all old lines before doing so or it makes a mess with the old DOT-3 that may be left in the lines. If you go that route that is.

I used a MC from a 68 because that is all my parts store could get in. Nothing for the 67, no new or reman MCs. As far as i know there are no mechanical differences between the two years, but I do not have the engineering drawing infront of me to confirm that.

My booster was also fine so i just left it go until it needs rebuilt.

Good luck and let me know what you decide.

-coal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys-

I am also looking to do the single to dual conversion. I have a 64 Country Sedan and I am looking at the Master cylinders (1967) that Summit and rockauto have. When I did the search on here to see what others were saying about it, I came across the talk about the fluids.

I am not sure what is in the system now for fluid, so what is my way forward as far as fluid goes?

Wikipedia (citing Bosch) states that "Most automotive professionals agree that glycol-based brake fluid, (DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1) should be flushed, or changed, every 1–2 years"

thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts