Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got anohter easy one for you guys, and knowing my luck I know what the answer is.

It would seem that the oil seal on the axle has decided to leak on me. To my understanding there are two locations the axle seal may be. One being between the flange plate and bearing, and the other between the bearing and the end of the axle making it easy to change.

Now my question is what one is factory for a 66. I am hoping it is the easy one to change, but I have a feeling that its the one that I need to remove the bearing from the axle shaft. If I am going to do that may as well rebuild the whole rear. There is quite a bit of play when I turn the wheel to when the drive shaft moves, and it klunks when I go form drive to reverse.

as always thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
On a 67, and I think 66 is the same, the seal is pressed into the rear end housing. You have to remove the axle to get the old one out and the new one in. If they are the original seals like mine were on the 67, they tend to rust to the housing making them a bear to get out. On one side I had to use a sharp cold chisel to cut the seal out. You also have to get the rear end off the ground with stands and the transmission in neutral. This is so you can rotate the rear axle in order to get to the bolts, you will see what I mean once you get the brake drum off so you can see the axle and wheel studs.

As far as what else you do, you should consider replace the rear bearings while you are replacing seals. Mine didn't need it but I figured after 44 years they could use a rest so I replaced them. Unless you have the right tools you will need a machine shop to press the old bearing off and new ones on, bearing are not expensive.

Be sure you clunk is not a u-joint before pulling the center section.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. shoud be an easy fix to replace the seal. I am not changing the bearings, they were done about 25 years ago and it sat for 12 of them in our garage, on jackstands none the less, and it was not a daily driver in those other years of use.

I think it's the rear that is causing the noise, I can crawl under it and turn the drive shaft a quite a bit and the yoke going into the third memeber moves with the driveshaft. I can also rotate a wheel quite a bit before it catches and the drive shaft rotates. But u joints a cheep and rears are not so much. So I shall change them and see if that fixes it first.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
From experience, if you remove the center section be sure to peel off the copper washers under the nuts before trying to bump the section off. If you don't the washers will wedge between the housing and studs making it impossible to remove. When going back together I was advised to use silicon gasket material rather than a gasket and washers. I did and no leaks yet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've used silicone about 3 or 4 times to reseal and have had no issues, but I scrubbed the crap out of everything with 0000 steel wool and laquer thinner. They make a little seal puller that'll help, but it can gouge a tad if you aren't careful and I had to fight mine out, used a little emory cloth to level those scratches. They make a seal driver kit to drive seal back in level or you may have something laying around you can adapt. Otherwise if you try to tap one side and the other it'll tend to cock and you'll bend it pulling it back out.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I changed mine (seals) while doing the suspension. Had the center section out and had a long piece of 3/4" all-thread left over from making the ball joint tool. Slid that into the housing from the axle end, put a couple large washers (enough to catch the seal) and a nut and used that like a slide hammer to pop them out. Of course, all if this will only work if you have the center section out.

I did the same and sealed my center with silicone and it's been almost a year and no leaks yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts