Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to fire up my 66 with a 352 and i know the carb is going to leak gas like crazy so i was just wondering what the model number is on one of these carbs so i can buy a rebuild kit. Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am getting ready to fire up my 66 with a 352 and i know the carb is going to leak gas like crazy so i was just wondering what the model number is on one of these carbs so i can buy a rebuild kit. Thanks

It is an Autolite 4100. Rebuild kits are readily available for these carbs. These are great carbs if they are tuned right!

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
There should be the CFM stamped on the side also. 1:12, 1:08 usually. Not sure if that makes a dif on the kit. But will tell you if you are going to get the kit at a local parts store don't get it from napa, their kit is good but you have to buy the rear diaphragm separate, it's not included in the kit. I got mine at autozone, it had everything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was also wondering how many quarts of oil it takes and what kind of oil filter it takes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The 66 352 takes 6 quarts of oil. I believe the filter is a Motorcraft FL1A...but plaese don't quote me on that. Any parts store or Walmart can tell you the correct filter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 66 352 takes 6 quarts of oil. I believe the filter is a Motorcraft FL1A...but plaese don't quote me on that. Any parts store or Walmart can tell you the correct filter.
Yep, everything used the FL1A back then.

Should be five quarts, unless the 352 held more oil than the 390. People would routinely add more, as these pans didn't have baffles and would shove all the oil to the back under hard acceleration. Unless you're drag racing, that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am also wondering what edelbrock carb is the same as the autolite 4100? Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked to the parts guy today and he said it could also be a 4300. I dont know if he is right or not. Whats your guys opinions

·
Registered
26 Posts
Talked to the parts guy today and he said it could also be a 4300. I dont know if he is right or not. Whats your guys opinions
Impossible, Ford didn't start using the 4300 until later in the decade. The 4100 was the four barrel of choice in the mid sixties. Although as far as I know, the 352's never came with a four barrel from the factory? You'd just have the sturdy old 2100 or 2150, unless someone converted it.

Also, if you're going to use a four barrel I'd suggest sticking with a 4100. They're terrific carbs and will last forever. You can find them all day on Ebay for under $200 rebuilt already.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep, everything used the FL1A back then.

Should be five quarts, unless the 352 held more oil than the 390. People would routinely add more, as these pans didn't have baffles and would shove all the oil to the back under hard acceleration. Unless you're drag racing, that shouldn't be an issue.
Actually it is 6 quarts, even though the 390 and 428 call for only 5. I know it makes no sense, but that what it says in the owners manual I have (I haven't looked at it in a while, but I'm pretty sure that is true). I've always wondered why this is as you would think the more powerful motors would require more????

Also, Sir Tonk is correct in that the 4300 didn't come into use until 67 or 68 (can't remember which). All 352s came with 4100s in 65 and 66. Someone could have changed the 4100 to a 4300, but that's the only way your car can have it. The 4100 is generally considered a better carb, as the 4300s were trouble prone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the good info guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts