Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
What do you think of this Comet, Showing low miles at 34,000. NO rust that I can find. Older repaint on l/f fender, hood and lower right quarter. Paint in these areas starting to fail. Rest of the paint looks original, not sure. 6 cyl auto, no options, except a heater. Seats redone in a close to original color, but pleated vinyl. Drivers side springs in the seat weak.
I really like it, but think the guy is asking every penny it would be worth if it didn't need anything. Probably not many left like this, but being such a plain jane, I'm not sure on worth. I would like to keep it as is, but I don't want to be into it for too much, in case I have to sell later.

Anyone care to guess what a reasonable value would be?? I'm thinking it needs about $1500 to 2K to fix the paint and repair the drivers seat.

I'd like some opinions. Have more pix, could not get them attached, sorry.

Thanks, Steve

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi 454,

Sorry about the pix, I tried for over an hour and that's the best I could get posted.

The car looks every bit as good as the pix....from 10-15 feet. Up close I can see some very small pitting, minor fading in the chrome, and the paint in the 3 areas I mentioned is starting to fail. If the paint didn't need work, the car would be in my garage, but overall this car is probably the nicest survivor I've seen on the east coast. The kind of car I dream about finding......only with a big block, 4 speed.

I'm not going to comment on your price guess, I'm hoping to get some other opinions.

@GT300TD, yea, hoping Gary will chime in and make my post complete.

Steve

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
66 plane jane comet with a straight six and an auto trans.......

Hmmm....

Of course it's worth $8,000 dollars 'cause there's nothing like it left anywhere in the world and this is the last one....

It is worth whatever someone will pay for it. :) I'm tired of getting pissed off at idiots that inflate the price of vehicles simply because they're old, or because one like it sold at barret jackson for $200,000!
The desirable part of any collectable car isn't the AGE, it's the RARITY and Condition of the car in question. Just like that $1400 dollar Torino console plate on e-bay, it's the rareness.
Of course that don't always mean schitt. Remember 4 years ago when I had this car?

It is one of the rarest Dodge car's ever made, it's one of 822, 1961 Dodge Custom 880 Convertible.
I couldn't give the darn car away but the parts off it paid for a lot of guns and shooting. :) :) The car is rare alone but only in Trim, there sere many other cars identical to it but without this special trim and door glass and windows. WOrth a whole lot? Only to the right person and I found him in Norway.

I bought a 62 Impala 4 door hardtop yesterday for $1000, and it's 99% rust free with good frame and quarters and all the bad spots are good, but still it's a 4 door, which makes it comparable to an inline 6 auto trans car.

The car is worth whatever you think it's going to be worth, it is never going to be a super desirable collector car because those cars have big motors and 4 speed tranny's. nobody goes out shopping and say's hey man, let's go get that underpowered auto trans Mercury, or wow I can't wait until the mustang comes out with another 70 HP 4 cylinder again.....

It's all relative my man, now that this post is complete with my haranguing of your thoughts on paying far too much for a Comet. If you thought it was a bargain you'd have bought it and not asked us for our two cents.... :) :) :D :D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I just sold a 390 4 speed cyclone for 1300. Had no motor or trans. Body was rough, needed floor pan . Had the non funcional hood fiferglass in great shape. I thought I wanted it when I bought it but could not get the title. The comet below would be a great start to make a clone cyclone out of it. Good luck on finding a fiberglass hood for people that has them thinks they are gold, not. Being the body is such good shape fix it up as your thoughts see the car in the future. Takes time if you are limited on money as I but if you stick to it she will be a nice money car.

I see that comet with a 427 , 4 speed top loader, keep paint same as it is. Just because it came with a six cylinder these days means nothing for clone cars bring good money. A good 390 is rather cheap if a 427 is unreachable , still a big block. Even with a good 390 4 speed fixed up could be worth 7 or 8000.00. You I am sure know what a 427 is worth and placed in the car price would go higher. Being a 2 door and great body you are way ahead in a very nice car as I see it. Fix the car as you wish and just keep it, drive and enjoy. Personally I like the car , wish it was in my yard. I got a 406 and 4 speed that would be cool in a comet as clean as yours, nice find.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RCode,

It's not mine yet. Went to look at it again today with a painter. He said it definitely needs the fender and door stripped.

"Of course it's worth $8,000 dollars 'cause there's nothing like it left anywhere in the world and this is the last one...."

FE nailed it pretty good, that's just about what the guy said. For all the grief Gary gets, he usually has a clue.

That being said, as much as I like this car, I'm not going to OVER pay for it.

"If you thought it was a bargain you'd have bought it and not asked us for our two cents.... :) :) :D :D "

Gary, you are right again. If it were a bargain, it would be in my garage. I asked for input because I wanted an idea of a FAIR price for this car. I do understand the "whatever someone will pay" theory, but till I hit the lottery, I need to be smart about spending. Most of the responses here and at MC.net are confirming my thought that the price is too high.

Thanks for the input so far.......still hoping for some more.

Steve

·
Administrator
22,117 Posts
A friends daughter just paid $3000 for a '77 buick skylark with 67k miles on it, tired paint but interior and all was superb, the classic little old lady story. I wouldn't of paid that for it, i think they are kinda ugly even if i do like buick and pontiac, the older ones at least. But the girl was in love with it on first sight and wanted it as her first car. It was one of those who's looking for a car and who sees it deals. Plus i have no room to talk about over paying for a car someone fell in love with and paid possibly too much, i was that same girl 35 yrs ago!!

That is a really nice looking comet for sure and nope, rarely ever see them. Probably most of them are out in the back field or a beer can by now.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hi 454,

Sorry about the pix, I tried for over an hour and that's the best I could get posted.

The car looks every bit as good as the pix....from 10-15 feet. Up close I can see some very small pitting, minor fading in the chrome, and the paint in the 3 areas I mentioned is starting to fail. If the paint didn't need work, the car would be in my garage, but overall this car is probably the nicest survivor I've seen on the east coast. The kind of car I dream about finding......only with a big block, 4 speed.

I'm not going to comment on your price guess, I'm hoping to get some other opinions.

@GT300TD, yea, hoping Gary will chime in and make my post complete.

Steve
Sounds like a nice car. Hard to find rust free around here in PA.
You also don't see many Comets around here. Make him a offer maybe he is willing to drop on price.
Good luck with it

Lou

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
Unfortunately the Clone idea will NOT work on a 66 Merc. It's not a Caliente, nor anything else desirable that you could produce a clone out of it with.

Anyhow.... 8k is about $4500 too much. It's simply a run of the mill car. Look here, 1966 MERCURY COMET CALIENTE CONVERTIBLE

HALF THE COST and a 4 speed and Big Name (Caliente) and Big Block!

I am almost Never wrong in my opinions of cars and their values. I've been doing this too damn long to be fooled by a fool from nantucket.

But let anyone else tell you it's an $8K car.... Not a chance in hell.

How about one for SUPER over inflated value, 1966 Mercury Comet Caliente $30K for THAT? Are you effign Kidding me? $30K and the car is in that condition?

I could go on and on folks. Trust me 99% of the time I chime in on a car value...

Oh, one last crack head for you.... 498 HP 390... LMFAO.... 1966 Mercury Comet Caliente *REDUCED!)

Not many NON Calinete's for sale because they're not the ones folks like most of the time.

·
Administrator
22,117 Posts
I just got that 62 Impala 4 door hardtop Convertible for $1000, and my wife lost her effing MIND last night. I thought she was fine with it, but it turns out that "anything you want dear" don't always mean what you hear....
Oops!! But a little fixed up even though a 4 door and would be easy to get your money back. Even if you didn't go full on, just clean it up some. Thought of you yesterday when i saw a '64 moredor that has been sitting at least since over a year ago. Don't know why, it's nice looking, on the outside, just needs a bath. Maybe the engine is blown.

·
Administrator
22,117 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.