Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Gal 500 vert. I am having trouble getting the top all the way down to put the boot on. No leaks in the system & the pump pulls good ( up & down ). The frame looks ok. I wonder what I'm missing. I've looked at pics online & some boots lay really well & some don't.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This probably won't be much help, but a number of years ago I had a '66 Galaxie conv. with the same problem. I never got it fixed but I'm betting the one of the bows is rotating a bit when the top is retracted and preventing it from fully folding properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This probably won't be much help, but a number of years ago I had a '66 Galaxie conv. with the same problem. I never got it fixed but I'm betting the one of the bows is rotating a bit when the top is retracted and preventing it from fully folding properly.
I'll check that also.
Thank you

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 1963 vert was having the same problems. Does the 66 have a plastic window that zips up, if so, I found unzipping it helps it lay flat. Also, I slowly let mine down carefully flattening and making sure it folds down flat. Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
21,517 Posts
I have a '64, don't know if '66 is the same or not. Mine has a glass rear window and on the bow above the window is a sticker saying unzip window before lowering the top. I found when my top got old and stretched the window would hang up on the back edge of the seat. Not a problem for me as 35+ yrs ago i was told to unzip the window anyway so do so and make sure it goes down all the way.

Yesterday putting the top down i couldn't get it to go down all the way and found that the second bow from the rear wasn't flipping down like it should so the top folded about 2 inches higher than usual. Check to see if that might be the issue.

Another thing i do isn't a requirement at all just my own preference to get the top down as far as possible. I pull the top folds outward that get folded in the "scissors" of the top after i get the top in the start to fold down position. I discovered the folds of the top and pad take up a lot of space and i can get the top down lower so i don't have to stretch the boot any to get it snapped on. But like i said, this is my own preference. I'm just ocd or anal about the top folding down. lol

My son's rear window was leaking on his mustang we just bought in Dec and i found that someone put the top down and up without unzipping and when the top came up the canvas on the end of the window was wadded up on one end so it didn't guide the water down the glass like it should. Easy fix this time but i guess the previous owners weren't at all picky about how the top went up and down like i am or they would of noticed that. Some "ironing" with a heat gun and hands flattened it out again so good to go now. Plus i don't have a clue if by '89 a person needed to unzip window but the window is tight in there even when unzipping to get it to lay flat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plastic window was zipped out. I have several things to try now.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have a '64, don't know if '66 is the same or not. Mine has a glass rear window and on the bow above the window is a sticker saying unzip window before lowering the top. I found when my top got old and stretched the window would hang up on the back edge of the seat. Not a problem for me as 35+ yrs ago i was told to unzip the window anyway so do so and make sure it goes down all the way.

Yesterday putting the top down i couldn't get it to go down all the way and found that the second bow from the rear wasn't flipping down like it should so the top folded about 2 inches higher than usual. Check to see if that might be the issue.

Another thing i do isn't a requirement at all just my own preference to get the top down as far as possible. I pull the top folds outward that get folded in the "scissors" of the top after i get the top in the start to fold down position. I discovered the folds of the top and pad take up a lot of space and i can get the top down lower so i don't have to stretch the boot any to get it snapped on. But like i said, this is my own preference. I'm just ocd or anal about the top folding down. lol

My son's rear window was leaking on his mustang we just bought in Dec and i found that someone put the top down and up without unzipping and when the top came up the canvas on the end of the window was wadded up on one end so it didn't guide the water down the glass like it should. Easy fix this time but i guess the previous owners weren't at all picky about how the top went up and down like i am or they would of noticed that. Some "ironing" with a heat gun and hands flattened it out again so good to go now. Plus i don't have a clue if by '89 a person needed to unzip window but the window is tight in there even when unzipping to get it to lay flat.
I haven't unzipped my 64's glass window since I bought the car in 1969.

(I used to unzip the plastic window on my 1955 Ford convert, but the zipper didn't last too long; neither did the car.)

My present roof has been on the car since the late 70's. It just needs to make it through another ten more years, max.

·
Super Moderator
21,517 Posts
I haven't unzipped my 64's glass window since I bought the car in 1969.

(I used to unzip the plastic window on my 1955 Ford convert, but the zipper didn't last too long; neither did the car.)

My present roof has been on the car since the late 70's. It just needs to make it through another ten more years, max.
I was told to do that before i got the car so that's how i do it. Many don't, some never have a problem some will lose a window. I don't think i would if it were plastic as it's not going to break like glass will. Mine would hang up on the seat edge but it was still the original top so pretty stretched. I will stick to the way it says to do it as with my luck, if i had a real top still, it would break first time because it didn't drop in the package tray.

Most aren't as anal as i am when putting it down either, just push the button and let it go down which i can't do(well i can but i won't), but everyone has their own way of doing things. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts