Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

So I have 2 66's and one is the 500xl veryt with about all the options. The other is a plane Jane 500 fast back. The fast back was "modified" for front disk set up. By modified I mean its all from 76 torino. Everything from the steering box to the control arms. In my reading of the subject from others it seems 77-79 tbird is what I need. Before I go to the junk yard to get these parts from a tbird, will what is on it now work properly. There seems to no positive yes or no on this subject and I have only seen the torinos option come up once as a donor and never again. Previous owner said he ran it like that for years, but I want to be sure it will work before I get new wheels and tires only to find the alignment will never work out.

I already replaces a ball joint on the driver side lower that makes me question if this will work or not. Ball joint was shot before I got the car.

I want it to be safe, inspectable, and fun. So far its fun, maybe inspectable, but safe??

The fast back is a 390 with a toploader 4 speed for what it matters.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
OK... Here is the scoop.

All FORD/MERC intermediates 73-79 are the same (1972 having a smaller front hub snout) (also watch for rotor size).

The main problem encountered on retrofits is the inability to arrive @ proper caster after the spindle retrofit. FORD changed the upper joint mounting angle on the 79 BIRD (same Casing I.D. Nos- So be diligent) and this spindle will allow proper camber setting(s). Or you can modify your upper CA mount for more adjust-ability.

I have a comparison photo but am away from my home machine now.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm planning on retro-fitting my 66. I have an 18x8.5" wide wheel in front, lowered about 3" and I have minimal room side to side. 1/4" inboard I will hit the upper control arm with the edge of the wheel, 1/4" outboard I will rub the fender while turning. So, my question is, what will the retrofit do (if anything) to the hub mounting location as far as wheel offset would be concerned? I'm running custom made wheel adapters and they are NOT cheap to reorder in a different width! And I love the 2 piece Mercedes wheels I'm running so no chance I would change wheels either.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I'm planning on retro-fitting my 66. I have an 18x8.5" wide wheel in front, lowered about 3" and I have minimal room side to side. 1/4" inboard I will hit the upper control arm with the edge of the wheel, 1/4" outboard I will rub the fender while turning. So, my question is, what will the retrofit do (if anything) to the hub mounting location as far as wheel offset would be concerned? I'm running custom made wheel adapters and they are NOT cheap to reorder in a different width! And I love the 2 piece Mercedes wheels I'm running so no chance I would change wheels either.
MERCEDES?

I will need to go to confession after this one... :bow:

IMO

If wheel placement has already been determined (and paid for), I would go either with the original KH discs or have a caliper mount machined to accept the COBRA two piston caliper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts