Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Just wanted to start up a thread for a project i've been working on. I'ts a slow going project, but hope to get it done this year.

I obtained a 66 Fairlane 500 when my uncle passed away and my father and I decided to restore it. Here are some current pics as of today (some old and new pics);

Here's the album link: Photo Album - Imgur

What we started with:

Replaced floor pans

Front suspension

Rear suspension

subframes

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Hiya Deathbyc4, looks like a great build in progress to me! Putting that whole new front suspension and steering in will make that 66 one sweet ride.
Is that steering set up from flaming river? I thought the only steering set up they had for these Fairlanes was for a 67 and it wouldn't fit a 66? Maybe since your putting in everything altogether it works then....I'm not sure.

You seem to be starting with a basic model 66 in spring time yellow paint, what size engine are you going to put in her?

Tell us what you've got planned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's actually from Fatman's out of Charlotte, NC. They made a setup for us since we didn't want to go the route of putting in a Mustang II front and weld that in. This pretty much made it all bolt-on with only a few minor adjustments.

We are thinking of a 351W bored and stroked to a 408, but it's still in the planning stages. going with an AODE transmission and definitely fuel injection. Way later down the road, it will be turbo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome suspension setup. I have an exact 66 500. Where'd you get your suspension setup? How much $$? This car is going to be my new daily driver and I really want to get the suspension/brakes drivable before anything else.

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh wow.. this forum goes most recent up top.. Got ya.. I was sooo confused.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I missed this one also, Nice build!

Be interesting to hear some feedback on the FatMan setup.

Which 4 link kit is that?

Jet

·
Registered
425 Posts
I like the caster setup you bolted to the front subframe. My car is just up on jack stands, but I have no room in my garage to roll it around anyway.

Did you have to repair the cowl vent area as well? That's how my floor pans had rusted.

I considered the Fatman Fab front suspension as well as Global West and RRS, but I decided to go a much lower budget route with more sweat equity. Or rather my bank account decided for me. I did purchase the GW upper control arms for the geometry improvement.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wonder what headers will work with that front setup? Some type of shorties I'm sure. Keep us updated on what works. That is a nice setup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did you do the front install yourself? I have been thinking about getting that system as well but am nervous about installing it myself. Did you buy the complete kit from FatMan or the normal kit where you need to supply the rotors/brakes and rack? Which front struts are used? 90-93 mustang?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts