Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'm pretty sure that shoulder belts were an option in '66, just nobody wanted them... though I could be wrong.

You should be able to feel it through the headliner if theres a hole there -

If shoulder belts were an option in '66, then there will be a hole there, and you'll have to find a way to get a nut and washer behind the pillar to bolt the shoulder belt to. I just welded the washer to the nut and put a sheetmetal screw in it once I got in in position, so I didn't have to hold it there to put the shoulder belt in.

Feel around up top through the headliner right where the quarter window starts to slope down, and there should be a 3/8ths hole in there for the bolt if belts were an option in '66... I just can't remember.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I think our 67 had the hole but no nut. The 70 has the hole and the nut because I did install a shoulder harness in it. I doubt that the 66 has a nut up there.

·
Registered
743 Posts
my 66 isnt a fastback, so im not sure if that makes a difference or not.
But i had my headliner out recently and didnt notice any mounting holes under the sides of the headliner.

best of luck though. i been thinkin about doin a rollbar also.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I build and sell a Shelby style roll bar for the '65-'70 fastbacks and sportsroofs that bolt into the upper roof structure where the seat belts bolt to. Most of the '65-'66 fastbacks do not have a nut installed, but they do have the hole that a caged nut can be installed into. The bars are 1 3/4" x .120 wall mild steel tubing and I can install the brackets to attach a 5 point style racing harness at the top, or I can install a bolt in cross bar that will allow the same style of belts. They are patterned after an original Shelby roll bar, and they do fit the roof nicely.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8055884793&category=42612

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F15Falcon on 7/14/06 12:51pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If I wasn't at work I'd dig up the pics of putting my retractable shoulder belts in... if I could find them.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
It goes in through the fiberglass like a real Shelby does. I also build the roll bars that go in front of the fiberglass panels, but I currently only have them for the '69-'70 sportsroofs. I'll have to drag my '65 fastback out and prototype a bar for the '65-'66's as soon I can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts