Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally pulled the trigger on a new windshield for my 66. I was tired of having 'white out' at night when headlights shine my way and in sunlight while driving. I have an order in through Safelite and they are scheduled to come do the installation in 7 days.

So....Has anyone else purchased a new windshield from them and had it installed? If so, do you have any feedback on your experience? I am slightly worried about my trim pieces and all being removed and being put back on correctly. Hope they will send someone very experienced out to do the job.

I found this excellent set of instructions over on the FE engine forum.
332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum: OT:1965/66 Galaxie Windshield Information
Pretty much straight forward except for the second picture when it says remove 'upper roof rail gasket and strip of stainless to get access to the rivets'. That part is kind of confusing to me. And also I am wondering if I need to purchase a rivet gun and some 'pop rivets' to put my trim pieces back on or if the glass people will take care of that. Do I need to have the hood removed for the glass people when they get there or will they take care of that? In the price they quoted, it was the total cost for parts and labor.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hi fried_daddy,

You know there were no rivets on our '66 fastback when I removed its old windscreen. Ford used truss style screw heads for that side trim and the stainless weather strip trim holder.

One thing I would be worried about is that if the roof rail weather strip is old, it might tear if they try to remove the forward section of it. Also the stainless weather strip retainer is sealed to the upper drip rail and side trim with butyl tape. If they are not careful they could kink that stainless retainer trying to pry it free.

Ok, my 2 cents :)

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Getting it out is easy. You may want to get new retaining clips for the trim. Hopefully they understand a new rubber will be required.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi fried_daddy,

You know there were no rivets on our '66 fastback when I removed its old windscreen. Ford used truss style screw heads for that side trim and the stainless weather strip trim holder.

One thing I would be worried about is that if the roof rail weather strip is old, it might tear if they try to remove the forward section of it. Also the stainless weather strip retainer is sealed to the upper drip rail and side trim with butyl tape. If they are not careful they could kink that stainless retainer trying to pry it free.

Ok, my 2 cents :)
That's good to hear that it is screws and not rivets. By saying roof rail weatherstrip you mean the piece that is between the top of the window frame and the body of the car?
Ford - Mercury - Ford - Ford Roof Rail Seals - Ford 2 Door Hardtop Fastback Body Style 63 - Macs Auto Parts

Getting it out is easy. You may want to get new retaining clips for the trim. Hopefully they understand a new rubber will be required.
Do you know what shape retaining clips were used on the windshield. I'll go ahead and order some and hopefully they'll make it here by Friday. Found these on MACs.
Mercury - Ford - Ford - Ford Upper Windshield Moulding Clip - Ford & Mercury - Macs Auto Parts

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Just go to cjponyparts.com and look them up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The windshield is glued in, I don't think you need any gaskets. I just glued mine in with butyl rubber 3m window weld ribbon sealer.
. Safe lite should be able to handle this, but I would remove the trim for them, just in case some one inexperienced with the hard to find parts come to do the install.
The top trim on the 66 galaxie fastback uses 10 of these clips for the top trim. There are no rivets or screw on the top.
Ford - Rear Window Molding Clips, Fairlane, Galaxie, Ranchero, Torino, 1966-1979 - Macs Auto Parts
I have mine apart now, the sides and bottom trim look like they bolt on, I have not assembled those yet so I don't know what screws or clips those take, but that picture from Mac you posted doesn't look like it's needed
Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
That's good to hear that it is screws and not rivets. By saying roof rail weatherstrip you mean the piece that is between the top of the window frame and the body of the car?
Ford - Mercury - Ford - Ford Roof Rail Seals - Ford 2 Door Hardtop Fastback Body Style 63 - Macs Auto Parts
Yuppers, if it's original it's going to be brittle and either crack or rip if removed. I know weatherstripping is expensive, but what a difference in replacing it! I've replaced all the weatherstrip in our '66 LTD and the doors and windows seal so nicely and everything is soft.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Galaxie Fastback 460 / C6
276 Posts
Hmmmm. I thought from 1965 on with the Galaxie line the front and rear glass went in with a butly type caulk seal?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The windshield is glued in, I don't think you need any gaskets. I just glued mine in with butyl rubber 3m window weld ribbon sealer.
. Safe lite should be able to handle this, but I would remove the trim for them, just in case some one inexperienced with the hard to find parts come to do the install.
The top trim on the 66 galaxie fastback uses 10 of these clips for the top trim. There are no rivets or screw on the top.
Ford - Rear Window Molding Clips, Fairlane, Galaxie, Ranchero, Torino, 1966-1979 - Macs Auto Parts
I have mine apart now, the sides and bottom trim look like they bolt on, I have not assembled those yet so I don't know what screws or clips those take, but that picture from Mac you posted doesn't look like it's needed
Good luck with the install.
Thanks for the info. I ordered both styles of clips just in case. I'll prob go ahead with the trim just in case.

Yuppers, if it's original it's going to be brittle and either crack or rip if removed. I know weatherstripping is expensive, but what a difference in replacing it! I've replaced all the weatherstrip in our '66 LTD and the doors and windows seal so nicely and everything is soft.
I definitely have it on my list to order. Who is your favorite supplier? I have a beltline kit on order from Steele Rubber but it is on a 6 week backorder.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got my window clips in today. They had a flash sale at MAC's site-wide so I went ahead and ordered the roof rail weatherstrip!! It won't be here before the windshield installation but it should arrive soon after. :D

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I definitely have it on my list to order. Who is your favorite supplier? I have a beltline kit on order from Steele Rubber but it is on a 6 week backorder.
Hiyah fried_daddy,

I have a few places I buy from, based on mainly as you pointed out who has what on sale.

The places (Ford specific parts) I buy from are:

* Classicautoparts.com (Obsolete Auto)
* MAC's
* Dennis Carpenter
* Classic Industries

A few words on each, Classic Industries is primarily GM parts supplier, but there have been a few esoteric parts I could not find for the galaxies that GM either used or is so close, no one will know the difference.

I am not thrilled with Dennis Carpenter on some of their items, the rubber parts are fine though. I've had quality issues on their chrome pieces and lenses and they don't seem to care, which is a shame really.

MAC's, well if it's in stock and you know exactly what you need, they're fine, aside from that their customer service needs something to be desired. I had 300 dollars of parts on back order and it sat for almost 2 months and no one bothered to call me back saying they were discontinued until I had to pester them to death to tell me that.

Classicautoparts, or Obsolete Auto as they are often called, they are the best ones out of the group. I've only had a problem with rear door seals for the '66 4dr. Some of the retainer holes will mispunched. But their customer service is really good.

You mentioned you ordered belt lines for yours and it's on backorder. I was inquiring about new belt lines/window felts/anti-rattle strips for the 4 dr hardtop as Classicautoparts didn't have a listing for that body style (57F). Their rep said we do not list them, but asked me a few questions on the car and said let me get back to you as we make them right here in house.

Well I figured a ring back much later or never as with the case of the other yahoo suppliers I listed above, but in 10 minutes he called back said no problem, gave me the same sale price as all the other body styles and 4 days later they arrived and fit very nicely.

My hats off to this supplier for sure...

Anyway just my dealings.....

Cheers

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hiyah fried_daddy,

I have a few places I buy from, based on mainly as you pointed out who has what on sale.

The places (Ford specific parts) I buy from are:

* Classicautoparts.com (Obsolete Auto)
* MAC's
* Dennis Carpenter
* Classic Industries

A few words on each, Classic Industries is primarily GM parts supplier, but there have been a few esoteric parts I could not find for the galaxies that GM either used or is so close, no one will know the difference.

I am not thrilled with Dennis Carpenter on some of their items, the rubber parts are fine though. I've had quality issues on their chrome pieces and lenses and they don't seem to care, which is a shame really.

MAC's, well if it's in stock and you know exactly what you need, they're fine, aside from that their customer service needs something to be desired. I had 300 dollars of parts on back order and it sat for almost 2 months and no one bothered to call me back saying they were discontinued until I had to pester them to death to tell me that.

Classicautoparts, or Obsolete Auto as they are often called, they are the best ones out of the group. I've only had a problem with rear door seals for the '66 4dr. Some of the retainer holes will mispunched. But their customer service is really good.

You mentioned you ordered belt lines for yours and it's on backorder. I was inquiring about new belt lines/window felts/anti-rattle strips for the 4 dr hardtop as Classicautoparts didn't have a listing for that body style (57F). Their rep said we do not list them, but asked me a few questions on the car and said let me get back to you as we make them right here in house.

Well I figured a ring back much later or never as with the case of the other yahoo suppliers I listed above, but in 10 minutes he called back said no problem, gave me the same sale price as all the other body styles and 4 days later they arrived and fit very nicely.

My hats off to this supplier for sure...

Anyway just my dealings.....

Cheers
I have never looked at absolute auto. I ordered my beltlines from Steele Rubber. Here are the ones I ordered that are on backorder. I have talked with them over the phone about the backorder and it is because they have to buy that particular form of rubber from someone else and they make them in batches.
Steele Rubber Products - Window felt weatherstrip

Not sure if they have alot of weatherstripping for the 4 door or not. They do have pretty nice prices though on some things. I will post feedback and install on my build thread once I get everything in for weatherstripping.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I talked to the glass people yesterday and they informed me that they do not do "house calls" on classic cars. They prefer to do them in shop because it may take 3-4 hours due to trim pieces and window fitting. Whatever. I scheduled me an appointment at 8:00 tomorrow morning so I could be the first customer of the day. Hope everything goes ok with the install. I have received both sets of trim clips that I ordered and I will bring them along with me in case mines are too damaged to reuse.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the windshield installed this morning!! Process went very smoothly. The technician took about a hour and 45 minutes start to finish. By the time I went to get something to eat and came back, they were wrapping up with everything. Wayyy faster than what they initially told me. No rust was found under the window trim. And also, they have a lifetime warranty on the window & install as long as I own the vehicle (minus damage from foreign objects).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts