Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, been lurking a while I finished my Javelin and I got ready to start on my Galaxie. I have no history on this car I bought it as a rusty roller; except the original owner. The paperwork was locked in the glove box.

Took the left front suspension off for sandblasting, powder-coating, painting, etc. The control arm shafts take the caps that have an O-ring inside and no bushings. My shop manual does not show this kind of control arm shaft. It shows the kind that has bushings, washers, and nuts. The front brake caliper is a 2.75 single piston, and the shop manual shows a two piston caliper. The shop manual never mentions the control arm shaft or caliper I have.

Does anyone know if these did come on the 66, or have I inherited someones Frankenstein?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Likely it was upgraded to front discs at some time during it's life. Save all the parts so you can put it back together.

·
Subscriber
736 Posts
i think the stock discs on a '66 would have been the 2-pot Kelsey-Hayes. If you've got 1-pots, may require some research.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am saving it all since it's gotta go back on. Everything I have found showed the 2 piston brakes on the 66. I guess if someone upgraded the the front brakes from drum to disc they probably took the whole front end off of something else; control arms and all.

The threads on the control arm, where the cap screws in, look pretty bad. Its a big hole so it will require a big tap. Anyone know what size tap it takes?

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
66 Kelsey Hayes would be 4 piston style until 68, the control arms sound like HD police type. The Kelsey Hayes are expensive and hard to fit any aftermarket wheels over. 68 and up went to single piston brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts