Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 66 i have noticed that on hard RH turns i get a bit of fuel up the tube which will push out, slightly, of the cap vent.

cap is new. I was wondering if anyone has added a baffle to the end of the filler tube at the tank side.? welding and fabrication are not an issue, I have an idea what i want to do. Just curious as to what others have done if anything?

thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How hard are you turning?! LOL I have never experienced in this in any of my old cars. I'm wondering if you are overfilling the tank? Or does this happen regardlesss of how much fuel you have in there? I can't imagine you'd need to weld a baffle in there, as it's not something I've ever seen people do (ie: shouldn't be necessary) but you also can't have fuel flying out on crazy RH turns.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
not too crazy. ive had my moments... but even a long sweeper onto the highway (onramp in a cloverleaf) can do it. and anything over 1/4 tank its possible to get it. the -only- reason i notice it is the rubber drain tube from the filler door cavity that passes through the trunk and out to the wheel well doesn't seal as well as it should, and i get a brief odor of fuel in the car. It took me forever to figure out where that was coming from as well. tank is solid, no leaks. (before anyone asks) and filler tube is rust free. (no holes). thinking of something like this. see below.

·
Registered
56 Posts
And it's a stock tank? Still an odd occurrence, but I think your baffle concept looks sound!

Reactions: m in sc

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
On my 66 i have noticed that on hard RH turns i get a bit of fuel up the tube which will push out, slightly, of the cap vent.

cap is new. I was wondering if anyone has added a baffle to the end of the filler tube at the tank side.? welding and fabrication are not an issue, I have an idea what i want to do. Just curious as to what others have done if anything?

thanks.
Hello m in sc,

Even though there is no mention of the actual fuel cap function in the service manuals for the 3rd gens that I could find. It does stand to reason that the cap should hold a few PSI worth of pressure in the tank and also allow air to enter should the tank approach a depression with respect to outside conditions. If the cap didn't do that, then the car stored in someones attached garage after a hot run would leech out gasoline vapors through the cap and possibly enter the house. Not to say the carburetor wouldn't contribute to that anyway, but lets confine this to the tank for now.

It also seems the aftermarket suppliers (Stant, etc) are not making the fuel caps to fit properly the Ford 3rd gen full size models. By happenstance I found a way to make a properly fitting fuel cap that does work as mentioned above. I noticed the fuel cap on my 1973 Chevrolet full size has a nice deep cuff that would straddle the Ford filler neck. So I ordered a brand new fuel cap for the 1973 full size Chevrolet and a 3rd gen Ford full size fuel cap. Then I drilled out the retaining rivet on both and use the Ford cap guts in the Chevrolet housing and secure.

Simple as that, now you have a properly fitting and properly function fuel cap that won't leak fuel out in a turn and will keep the majority of fumes in the tank.

Just thoughts.

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ Desert, that makes a lot of sense. I'll persue that line of thought for sure. thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts