Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 galaxie 2 dr fastback currently in restoration and am swapping my single speed wiper motor for a 2 speed. The 2 speed motor will be a rebuilt original 65 - 68 motor.

Another wrench to throw in is that I will not be using a factory 2 speed galaxie switch since the original dash or any parts pertaining will not be used. The whole interior will be done custom and will not have the original dash included.

I am simply looking for an older looking 2 speed switch with washer controls that can be used with this original 2 speed ford wiper motor. I've seen wiper switches with three prongs, some with 7 prongs.........?

I know that the existing wiring will not work so I am looking to see if anyone can help before the motor arrives and I start to dive in this install.

Does anyone know the correct wiring needed to adapt this over to work? I know without knowing exactly what switch i'm using it would be difficult to say but am looking for any input at all.

A better switch to use with this 2 speed motor?

How to wire the motor to a specific switch?

Thanks,

·
Registered
390 Posts
You got a good question. I'm installing my two speed now. The only thing I could tell is set it up on you bech and ground the black wire and power up the orange and white wire. with a meter and operate the switch and test the wire to see what color the wire are hot. Do this for both speed, Then you will know what wires are hot for each speed and then search for the switch you want. The washer switch is no big deal. The wire colors for the switch is green,white,blue,red,orange-white and a black wire to washer switch.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Food for thought. On my 63.5 the cam that attachés to the wiper motor is a different length ( part #) for the single and two speed wipers. So if when you get it together the wipers do not clock right you might check that out. I don't know if this will apply to the later model Galaxies ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Perhaps you could get a switch from a '67, it is a rotary switch that I think uses a push/pull to activiate the washer. Should be wired similar. The '66 has a 7 prong for 2 speed; the washer is separate, but it wires through the speed switch (ever just try to move the washer switch with the speed switch off? It mechanically makes the speed switch turn on). The wiring also controls the park feature on the wiper, otherwise if you turn the switch off the blades would just stop in the position they are in. The shop manual schematic is not really a schematic, more like a picture. It does not indicate what the switch function is, only shows the wiring going to a picture of the switch. Schematic also does not indicate wire sizes. The wiper harness is a separate jumper that attaches to the main dash through a connector. It runs through the firewall near the fuseblock.
Tom

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps you could get a switch from a '67, it is a rotary switch that I think uses a push/pull to activiate the washer. Should be wired similar. The '66 has a 7 prong for 2 speed; the washer is separate, but it wires through the speed switch (ever just try to move the washer switch with the speed switch off? It mechanically makes the speed switch turn on). The wiring also controls the park feature on the wiper, otherwise if you turn the switch off the blades would just stop in the position they are in. The shop manual schematic is not really a schematic, more like a picture. It does not indicate what the switch function is, only shows the wiring going to a picture of the switch. Schematic also does not indicate wire sizes. The wiper harness is a separate jumper that attaches to the main dash through a connector. It runs through the firewall near the fuseblock.
Tom
After looking at my 66 shop manual and reviewing the wiring, I believe it will be in my best interest to stick to a 7 or more prong switch. The original 2 speed switch uses a 7 prong switch for the wiper control and another 2 prong for the washer. How many prongs does the 67 have? Will have to play with this one to get the wiring right. at least the schematic tells me enough on how not to wire it or burn up this new motor. Thx

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Food for thought. On my 63.5 the cam that attachés to the wiper motor is a different length ( part #) for the single and two speed wipers. So if when you get it together the wipers do not clock right you might check that out. I don't know if this will apply to the later model Galaxies ??

Yeah, on the 66, the motor wiring and faceplates are completely different. This will be part of the challenge I have upcoming. Thx

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got a good question. I'm installing my two speed now. The only thing I could tell is set it up on you bech and ground the black wire and power up the orange and white wire. with a meter and operate the switch and test the wire to see what color the wire are hot. Do this for both speed, Then you will know what wires are hot for each speed and then search for the switch you want. The washer switch is no big deal. The wire colors for the switch is green,white,blue,red,orange-white and a black wire to washer switch.

My drawing is a little different for my 66 that frankb's........I can get a pretty good idea by looking at the schematic what wires do what.....I hope. My concern is finding a good switch that will have the same control prong/function wise as the original that is like the 67 noted. Would like to investigate the 67 more and see if it would work......thx

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
mvan, I see you started a new thread on the subject, so let me jump in here on this one.

Has anyone tried an aftermarket switch to get a slow/intermittent wiper speed? JC Whitney used to sell them though I don't know who does now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts