Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 Galaxie was already converted to a Hurst floor shift (automatic) when I bought it. The shift lever on the column was removed, but the collar was there still and broken.

I ordered the parts to remove the broken collar and replace with a factory collar for the non column shift and also replaced the signal light switch because it was giving me trouble. The replacement parts I purchased from an non column shift 66 Galaxie parts car fit nice and seated well. Now I do have some space between the column tube (about 1/2 to 3/4 inch) and the steering column and wheel will shift to the side a bit if I tug on it when I get in the car. It is stable when driving.

Will the column tube loosen up and slide up the column into the collar or is it fixed on the column shaft? Or is it a bad bearing at the top of the column tube assembly? It looks like the shift collar is longer on the columns shift car by an inch or so.

Thanks for ideas here.

·
Subscriber
546 Posts
thinking out loud, take with a grain of salt-

the column tube's travel up/down is limited by the two bolts that attach it to the bottom of the dash.
there is play side-to-side, but I don't think there is an allowance for up/down movement.

i'm guessing those two bolts are loose, which is why you can tug the column to the side when getting into the car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think the bearing retainer at the top is rubber. could be trashed

I remember it coming with a rubber looking spacer for the upper bearing. I see metal ball bearings listed for those and always wondered if I needed that instead. So you saying under the rubber retainer I should have a metal ball / roller bearing?

Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thinking out loud, take with a grain of salt-

the column tube's travel up/down is limited by the two bolts that attach it to the bottom of the dash.
there is play side-to-side, but I don't think there is an allowance for up/down movement.

i'm guessing those two bolts are loose, which is why you can tug the column to the side when getting into the car.
Thanks. I'll check those. My initial thought was to loosen them and the 2 under the hood near the rag joint and try to slide it up a bit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The bearing and sleeve numbers have been superseded many times. The most recent numbers are F23Z-3517-B for the bearing and E2AZ-3518-C for the rubber sleeve.

These are for a fixed column, I don't know if they're the same for tilt.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts