Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As spring is quickly approaching I am wanting to get my GTA (purchased last november) to sound a little more bad ass and get it tuned up.

I've done a lot of reading and I'm trying to decide a few things.

1. What exhaust to get (i'm leaning toward flowmaster american thunder system or super 40's)

2. Should I get headers? (leaning toward Ford Powertrain Tti-Y's) Would the car lose much if any value by removing the stock manifolds? Does anyone have headers installed in a 66-67 GT/GTA with a link to a picture underneath?

The car came with an edlebrock 750 cfm carb and rpm performer intake manifold and a mild cam. That is all the mods I'm aware of.

So what are your thoughts? Anyone happen to have this exact set-up? Anything close? Same headers? Stock manifolds with flowmaster exhaust?

What I want out of it:
This is basically a date night car for my wife and I and I'll occasionally take it to cruises. It's not a show car but it is very pretty. I'd like it to put out the power it should be but I'm not looking to build it up more than it is. Right now if I hammer it from a standstill it doesn't spin tire and I'm thinking maybe it should (am I wrong there?) which is why I'm getting it tuned to make sure everything is set-up correctly.

I appreciate everyones responses and let me know if I left anything out you may need to know to properly reply.

Thanks,
Seth

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, that's yours! I looked at that video a few times before officially purchasing mine. That is one sweet ride. It sounds exactly the way I want mine to. So the exhaust work was done for you before the purchase huh. Is there anyway you could send/post a pic of the headers from a few different angles? Does yours have power steering? I know that's an issue with headers and this car. Let me know and thanks for the post!

Also, do you know if your exhaust is mandrel bent or compression bent? H pipe or x or neither?

Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
NO not mine, I have pic's of mine on here, under the stroker section. This one is my friends. It's In storage for the winter. No the car does not have power steering. so it has no drop bracket. Mine has power steering and I had to use the drop bracket and clearance one tube slightly to get it right. If buying the FPA's be sure to have them gray coated. uncoated the heat is a starter killer.

The gta in the video has a H pipe and is crimp 21/2" pipe with 40 flow's

Mine has mandrel pipe,H pipe with magnaflows. personaly his sounds better. Mines way faster (8>þ

The headers are a pain to install, Been there done that ! But ......well worth the hassle. I like them alot.

you will need to unbolt the engine mounts and have a cherry picker to install the headers. you need to move the engine around some to wiggle them in . once installed they fit nice. there tucked up real tight and dont hang down at all ... Im sure I still have some pics of mine around.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
p.s this is on a differant site. I had helped another member and posted some pic's

67 Fairlane GTA 390 Headers
Yes, I actually came across that thread when I was doing my research. Damn, so I guess it's gonna be a pain in the ass no matter what huh? I was really hoping I wouldn't have to un-mount the motor.

So, my frivolous question, can the gta in the video easily do burnouts? As noobish as that sounds I guess it's just something I want to be sure mine can do. Not that I would be doing them all the time, but just to know it's there.

Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
did you watch the end of the video ? yea it will smoke them pretty easy ..

p.s. Im betting you have to remove the tranny also to install them !!....

I had mine all out when I did them and had to bolt the drivers side on completly and then tilt the engine in and lower it down 80-90% . then I could slide the passanger side up from the bottom and bolt it on. set motor in place,secure motor mounts and then wiggle the tranny in ....

Dont kid yourself its a big job ! it will take you a weekend ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you watch the end of the video ? yea it will smoke them pretty easy ..

p.s. Im betting you have to remove the tranny also to install them !!....

I had mine all out when I did them and had to bolt the drivers side on completly and then tilt the engine in and lower it down 80-90% . then I could slide the passanger side up from the bottom and bolt it on. set motor in place,secure motor mounts and then wiggle the tranny in ....

Dont kid yourself its a big job ! it will take you a weekend ...
I'll be honest with you, I'm a complete rookie when it comes to stuff like that. I've changed a lot of alternators and brakes and various other parts but nothing like taking out an engine. Is there a good video that just shows it being done? Not a tutorial or anything, I would just like to see it. How much is involved?

·
Registered
326 Posts
your screwed , lol ...

unless you have all the tools and a engine lift ect .. you best not try it. Best find a shop or a friend that can help you out. Im a good wrench and have all the tools and it took me all weekend

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
your screwed , lol ...

unless you have all the tools and a engine lift ect .. you best not try it. Best find a shop or a friend that can help you out. Im a good wrench and have all the tools and it took me all weekend
I have a friend with all that stuff who is knowledgeable enough I think to do it. I would just like to see it for myself before we actually tackle it. I can learn a lot just by watching it being done. So if anyone else knows of a video shoot me a link.

Thanks!

Anyone else with various exhaust/header recommendations/vids please feel free to share!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Go with long tube headers, 2 1/2" dual exhaust with H pipe and Flow Master 40 or equivalent mufflers and you will have the sound you want. Reason I say "equivalent" is that there are a myriad of two chamber mufflers out there that are exact duplicates of the FM 40's for half the price. I got mine from Summit for $25 a piece and everyone thinks they are Flow Masters!

As far as the performance is concerned, I would say it is the stock heads that are holding you up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Go with long tube headers, 2 1/2" dual exhaust with H pipe and Flow Master 40 or equivalent mufflers and you will have the sound you want. Reason I say "equivalent" is that there are a myriad of two chamber mufflers out there that are exact duplicates of the FM 40's for half the price. I got mine from Summit for $25 a piece and everyone thinks they are Flow Masters!

As far as the performance is concerned, I would say it is the stock heads that are holding you up.
Wow! That is some awesome info! Do you have a link to those mufflers and possible a link to a sound clip? And what heads do you recommend?

Also, I'm now trying to decide between flowmaster 40's and super 40's. Any input there? Magnaflow is actually on the table now too since I'm most likely going with a custom exhaust from a shop. From what I hear magnaflow is a bit better performance wise but in the end, for me, I'll sacrifice 5 HP for the sound I want.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Go to Summit Racing to check out the mufflers. One brand that comes to mind is G Force or V Force, something like that. Summit sells their own brand which is manufactured by someone else. They call them their Street & Strip Race Muffler for $29.95 and I think that is what I have. I do not have a sound clip, but my '70 Mustang with a built 351w and the exact setup I mentioned sounds very close to the one posted here. I also purchased the Flow Master pre-bent exhaust pipes from Summit along with one of their (Summit's) H pipe kits. The whole setup with shipping was a lot less then the complete Flow master system.

The Flow master 40 is the loudest I believe, not sure about the Super 40's. Magnaflows are a little quieter as I understand. I like the Hooker Competition headers for there size, fitment and looks. Headman's are OK too, but not as nice looking in my opinion and I particularly don't like the looks of the ball type collector connection they use. Doug's are very nice but very pricey. If this is a street car and you are not looking fer every available HP, the Hooker Competitions will fill the bill and they are well priced. Summit has them too, for about as cheap as you will find them.

As far as heads, it depends on what you want to spend. To get off fairly cheep I'd look at RHS or World Casting. They are a big improvement without spending $2,000 plus. I put a set of iron World Casting Windsor Jr's on my 351 for about $800. Dart Pro-1's are going on the 427w in my '64 Fairlane Sports Coupe though!

As a last thought, there is a world of stuff available on e-Bay if you haven't already looked. I got my ceramic coated Hooker headers there for $300 new. They have a ton of two chamber mufflers as well.

·
Registered
734 Posts
hey ive got almost the same set up, mine have 40series. sounds gggreat!

i say do it.

my 67 conv.: rebuilt 289
with no headers
2 (or smaller) inch piping
and no H pipe

67 GTA had: stock 289
with no headers
3 inch pipe
H pipe

the conv is quiter by far a suddle rumble
my GTA is loud and thats how i like it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know, I was just giving an example.
Thanks, that's what I assumed. I figured you knew I didn't have a 351.

So as of right now I have decided to have a muffler shop fabricate the exhaust for me from 2.5" aluminized pipe with an 'H' pipe and either summit racing exhaust or flowmaster 40's. I'll be pulling it out of storage and I might get lucky and find out there is already 2.5" pipes on it and I can just get new mufflers so I'll have to wait and see on that.

One question I have is how big of a difference is there between the flowmaster 40's and super 40's? Anyone have any experience with both?

They have videos on their site of each.

super 40's: Sound Test - Super 40 Series Muffler - Chevy El Camino SS - YouTube

40's: 1969 Camaro Pace Car with Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow - YouTube

People always bring up the super 44's but from what I can tell they are basically the same as the super 40's but are thinner (4") for clearance and other situations. Is that right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For anyone looking at the thread I figured I would let you know that I ended up getting Flowmaster super 44's. The only place anywhere near me that makes custom exhausts is Meineke but I hear they do good work. So The car is going in Wed. to get the new 2.5" exhaust fabricated and installed with the flows.

I'll try to post a video when it's done for those interested.

Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts