Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a new guy here but I have searched pretty extensively and haven't really found what I'm looking for. Honestly, I have a lot of questions and I'm not sure if I should start several threads or just post them here.

I'll start by posting them all here and if you all or the mods feel I should start independant threads just let me know.

So I got my first classic: 1966 GTA

It was restored in the early 90's and has 89,k on it.

Questions:
1. I would love to know if I got a good deal but without you all actually seeing it in person I'm sure that's hard to say.

2. I'm thinking of converting it to a 4-speed. I have never done anything like this but am very mechanically inclined. What I need to know is what are all the parts necessary to do so and is there anyplace that just sells a whole kit?

3. It looks like that in the first 3 times I've driven it one of the hoses that carries coolant to the heater core has sprung a leak and needs replaced. I was thinking of just converting all the cooling lines to braided steel and fittings. Does anyone sell a kit for this?

4. I understand how braided steel fittings work and how they are attached to the hoses but how are they attached to the various fittings on the car? Would this require new/different fittings mounted to the block, firewall, etc? Does anyone have this done to their engine and would like to share a couple pics?

5.I would like to put an exhaust on it. I would love for it to sound like this:

1966 Fairlane on a spring afternoon - YouTube

any idea what exhaust this is? Flowmaster 40's? i believe he has a pretty serious cam but i do have a mild one.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Seth

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Hey Seth - Congratulations, and my answers are in your quote:
Questions:
1. I would love to know if I got a good deal but without you all actually seeing it in person I'm sure that's hard to say.
It's nice to know value, but if you're happy with what you got for your money - be happy. That's a beautiful car. Nice.
2. I'm thinking of converting it to a 4-speed. I have never done anything like this but am very mechanically inclined. What I need to know is what are all the parts necessary to do so and is there anyplace that just sells a whole kit?
There are many options for manual 4 and more-speeds, but the first requirement is the pedal assembly with clutch pedal. Original hangers (assembly) with brake and clutch pedal run $75 to $150 or more, and there are options for used, worn-out and custom built ones. But, gotta have that pedal first.
3. It looks like that in
the first 3 times I've driven it one of the hoses that carries coolant to the heater core has sprung a leak and needs replaced. I was thinking of just converting all the cooling lines to braided steel and fittings. Does anyone sell a kit for this?
Kits are available, but cheaper is usually just running your own.
4. I understand how braided steel fittings work and how they are attached to the hoses but how are they attached to the various fittings on the car? Would this require new/different fittings mounted to the block, firewall, etc? Does anyone have this done to their engine and would like to share a couple pics?
SS hose in this case is usually just hose-clamped in place on the existing barbs, with pretty AN-looking fitting covers for appearance. Real 3000 psi connections can be made with full fittings, but that's way beyond overkill and far more expensive for the fitting adapters. Can be done, though.
5.I would like to put an exhaust on it. I would love for it to sound like this:
any idea what exhaust this is? Flowmaster 40's? i believe he has a pretty serious cam but i do have a mild one.
Exhaust systems are bound by resources and budget. The actual sound produced is based on your engine and the parts used to build the system. The sound is different for every setup, but you can sound much like it. First is to know your intentions for the car, how you will drive it, and any other mods you expect to do in the future. Tailoring the actual sound to your liking is second. This will save double-spending as you go.
HTH
David

·
Registered
262 Posts
as far as multip[le threads versus one thread, I have found that if you ask a question, at that time, it alerts everyone , and they will look at it and help you, but after a while, everyone gets used to seeing the same thread title, and assumes its the same question. they stop looking at it.
So I separate my questions into different threads.
Ive never gotten told its the wrong thing to do, so I do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 66 GTA modification questions (auto to 4-speed)

thanks guys.

I think for right now I'll stick with the auto to 4 speed conversion because that's the one I'm most concerned with.

PSIG- I have heard they are hard to come by. I actually found one on craigslist for $100 and I'm looking to snatch it up.

Is there a link to some kind of schematic or diagram that shows the various parts? Maybe even an exploded isometric view or something? That would be awesome.

In the meantime, is there someone here that us uber mechanical/versed in this that could literally list each part I would need to round up?

Also, does a 'conversion kit' exist? Like a vendor that sells the toploader/ pedal assy, shifter and linkage, etc...?

And another question to piggy back, where are the casting numbers located on my block and is it possible to view them with the motor still in the car? I wanted to try to verify it was the 390/335 engine I was told it was. (for the price, I wasn't that concerned before the sale was final.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

I think for right now I'll stick with the auto to 4 speed conversion because that's the one I'm most concerned with.

PSIG- I have heard they are hard to come by. I actually found one on craigslist for $100 and I'm looking to snatch it up.

Is there a link to some kind of schematic or diagram that shows the various parts? Maybe even an exploded isometric view or something? That would be awesome.

In the meantime, is there someone here that us uber mechanical/versed in this that could literally list each part I would need to round up?

Also, does a 'conversion kit' exist? Like a vendor that sells the toploader/ pedal assy, shifter and linkage, etc...?
4 Speed Conversions

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I forgot-

DAMN THAT'S A PRETTY THING!

Unless you post more photos, all future TECH HELP will be withheld... ;)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

That link is friggin sweet. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll call monday to see the price of the package. I'm thinking somewhere between an arm or a leg...

Thanks for posting the pic reference link oldfart but I'll post them in here just for KULTULZ

·
Registered
830 Posts
you'll pay a premium for perogie stuff. it's top notch, but $$$$ I would try this forum, the FE forum www.fordfe.com, CL, and yes, even fleaBay. I'm sure someone here has a set used. in the Perogie pic, you'll see everything needed, and is probably ready to install, so it may be worth the bux. it may be cheaper to find a standard shift parts car for the stuff..JMHO...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, I'll find out tomorrow and let you all know how much their kits are.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me where to find the castings on my block? I've seen internet images of them but they were so zoomed in I couldn't tell where to actually look on the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if your willing to spend a little more...
why not do a 5 spd??
and a hydralic clutch setup...

items in ford store on eBay!

since your staring from scratch anyway...plus you gain a highway gear....:)

i did 4 spd swap , but wish i'd done a 5spd...:cry:

either way its not cheap....pick your Poisen....:D
Thanks Raggaren,

That is another option. However it still looks like I would need some additional parts. Also, I have a 9" posi rear-end with 3.25 gears wear as you have 4.11 gears so I think I would be a little lower in the RPM's on the highway right?

And do you have the close ratio 4 speed or standard?

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Thanks Raggaren,

That is another option. However it still looks like I would need some additional parts. Also, I have a 9" posi rear-end with 3.25 gears wear as you have 4.11 gears so I think I would be a little lower in the RPM's on the highway right?

And do you have the close ratio 4 speed or standard?
Close ratio...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

Thanks for posting the pic reference link oldfart but I'll post them in here just for KULTULZ
:tup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok sweet, I found the engine block casting and it is a 352 (as the FE 390's should be) Now the next step is trying to see the date code to see if it was from the same time my car was made. I'm almost certain it is not the original engine but one from the same 6 mo. period the car was built would be great. I'll see about that possibly tomorrow.

Perogie was supposed to e-mail me information today as far as the price of the 4 speed conversion but they haven't yet so I'll call again tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts