Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. 289c.i. '66 Fairlane 500 four door sedan here.

I purchased a set of headers in the past that fit like a charm, no problems at all. A few months back, they needed to be replaced, so I again purchased the same set I had before thinking it's just unbolt this and bolt on that, however, in that time I guess they decided to change the design a bit. The passenger side is pretty much the same, but the driver side isn't and is causing me some problems. Two of the tubes are now going back a lot farther than they used to rather than down and are now in the way of both the gas pedal and the shift link rod. Looks like they were trying to make it better for the power steering, but if you can't shift or go, that's pretty much a bad design. (I probably won't be buying this brand again.)

Shift linkage isn't much a problem as I've been wanting to convert to a floor shift for some time now. The main problem is the lower half of the gas pedal, (the part that connects to the transmission) and in the past week, I can think of no easy way to get around it.

Anyone here have any experience with that situation? All I can think right now is a different set of, or custom headers. I have to get this car back on the road asap, and I'm in no position to be tossing money around at the moment, so I'm really hoping someone here has an answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Someone had mentioned in another thread that they had encountered the same problem with regards to interference. As I recall, they were able to bend the transmission downshift arm slightly gain clearance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Because they are the same brand/model number I would take both drivers side units back to the supply house and show them the diff.

Maybe there's a sub p/n for power steering or no power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick info, however, I was wrong. The gas pedal does clear when everything's bolted up tight in place, it just couldn't be any closer. I think it does rub just a little bit, but nothing to worry about. Just ordered the floor shifter, so if that goes well, i should be back on the road in a week or two. Thanks again everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Hiya Smee, Are those the Flowtech 1300 or something close to that part number? I think I'm the one that mentioned I put them on my 66 289, column shift/ power steering ride. You should be able to bend that shifter rod just enough to get all your gears but you might have to hold 1st gear in if you don't bend it quite enough. I only keep mine in 1st when I'm wanting to nail her good then let her shift as normal. These early C4's aren't the best for performance and are weak so I take it easy on mine. I plan on going to a later C4 with a floor shifter as well.....I need some bucket seats and new carpet to complete that deal.

Remember I had to bend the lower part of my gas pedal set up just a bit to clear too, I'd order these again since it's the only ones I found that I liked and the price was good. I don't know why they didn't make the tube bends better to make things easier, they clearly had the room.

·
Registered
32 Posts
According to their catalog, Patriot H8433 shorties will fit, auto column shift an all. I might try these in my '67, considering the problems I've read with the reproduction HiPo manifolds......

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm ready to buy headers for my '67, 289 auto column shift. Did anybody find something that will work? I might order the Patriot H8433 and see....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts