Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to do my best to post updates as I restore. Started months ago, so timeline is off, since I have not posted until now.

History: Purchased from original owner, who special ordered from San Jose, CA dealership in Feb 1966. Built in Los Angeles.

66 2D LTD 390 4v C6

Condition: Car is deteriorating, but no major issues. Runs ok, exhaust rusted out, breaks need attention, carb rebuilt by owners son last year. Body has some rust around rear window, radiator core support and surface rust here and there. Nearly complete, and original. Included original jack, owners manual and dealers brochures.

Plan: Restore to as close to original as I can without going broke. Will leave paint and body to the pros. Plan to do all the grunt work, plus anything more specialized if I can learn online or have guidance from a friend/the forum.

Few pics of the "before"

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spent a few months, a "lunch hour" at a time pulling chrome and interior. Went at it all blind. Lots of help reading posts here and watching videos.

The 66 is an hour from my house (15 mins from work). many long lunches later, all chrome, windows, interior and emblems stripped.

Everything comes home with me for a good polish, ready for reinstallation...

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Biggest fear buying this car was what I may find under the vinyl top. Could already see some bad spots and bubbles around window.

After peeling it back, so much relief... not so bad. Should save me a little in body work...more for engine? tires?

I have also been hunting ebay to upgrade a handful of oem parts that were pretty beat up.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One part I can not find.... door jam trim? not sure of actual name.

Anyone have any ideas? Looking for both sides, but driver side is really bad--cracked down length.

Someone suggested standard snap in windlace. anyone have a photo of this on a 65 or 66?

Anyone have an extra one around for sale?

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
made some progress over the past few months. Biggest challenge... phone died. Lost many of my pictures documenting my work, and more importantly for me, where parts go! ha.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the fenders, rad core and motor out last month. Core went off to a shop to cut out some rust--got it back last week, and it looks good. Motor, I replaced all the gaskets, timing chain, head bolts, etc. Painting engine bay before motor goes back in.

Ground down frame to bare metal and sanded fire wall. Painted frame with rust encapsulation high heat and then duplicolor semi gloss. Used SEM trim paint for firewall--looks real close to OEM. Just hope it holds up. Plan to do inner fenders with the same.

Did not come across any surprises--that was nice. Just need a few more hours in each day and I might be done before summer is over!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finished up the motor last week or so. Ground off all the old paint. Primed with VHT high heat, and painted with duplicolor dark ford blue. Took a few cans and a lot of prep, but think it came out great.

Got exhaust manifold back on, but motor still sitting in driveway.

Mainly stalled out because I am having trouble getting the tranny/torque converter bolted to block. Suggestions?

Got it lined up--not easy, but figured it out (thanks to some older posts here). But once lined up, tried turning the flywheel with my brakerbar to put on 4 nuts to connect TQ to flywheel--did not seem to want to move?

Took it apart, torque converter seated for sure (three spins, sitting lower than tranny housing), TQ spins with ease, can manually spin the fly wheel by hand--with some effort--but just does not want to spin when together?

Ideas? Did not use a lot of force, maybe I just need to try a little harder?

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a few months off for the holidays and winter--back at it.

All motor complete, parts have been restored, and most reinstalled.

Earlier transmission issues corrected--ended up being as bad oil pump--I smashed it up reinstalling the torque converter.

Side note for anyone in my shoes, TC installs in three steps. Line up gears, and wiggle back and forth until it steps down, spin with pressure, it will drop down two more steps (three total). When installed correctly, you can place a straight edge across the bell, and all bolts will sit about an inch below. Never, like I did, force the tranny to the block... so stupid.

Anyway, done, cost a little, but learned a lot.

Motor is now sitting where it belongs, and hope to have it running in the next few weeks--rain permitting.

Next up

1. Get her running,
2. New exhaust , from exhaust manifold back (I have some magnaflow magnapacks--anyone running these?)
3. Front sway bar installed (should have done before motor--I know)

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my posts over the past year, my first attempt at this in years, and the advice has been priceless.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hello dmp1,

I like your car, the work is coming along nicely. It's a nice feeling to see things going back together isn't? :)

I wanted to ask since I see you have the Thermactor emission system, are you keeping that installed? or being in California, can you remove it, even on an old car?

Just curious

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello dmp1,

I like your car, the work is coming along nicely. It's a nice feeling to see things going back together isn't? :)

I wanted to ask since I see you have the Thermactor emission system, are you keeping that installed? or being in California, can you remove it, even on an old car?

Just curious
I am planning to keep it on--at least for now. Not required even in CA. I believe 66 was the first year required in CA. I have not come across many with emissions still intact--I am sure most where pulled off once smog was no longer required.

The car itself was 100% complete/original when I purchased, so thought it would be nice to keep it that way--other than maybe hidden radio or mp3, stereo speakers in tray and under dash.

I read that the emissions did not drain much hp, and in fact, did not actually do much by way or emissions control.

Anyone have details on early CA emissions?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks GREAT...hope it runs as good as it looks!!:bow:

Good Luck!!:tup:
lets hope, thanks! Should find out next week.

rad core and inner fenders went on last night...or at least hanging.
Halfway through, I began considering a swap out of the fuel line, and thought it might be hard to access once fenders go back on...so on hold until I decide.

Fuel line opinions anyone? haha. Considering the original was a hose, might just go with updated rubber fuel line. Seem simpler than bending something to fit, and maybe just as safe so long as it is all tucked away as it should.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow no response to your thread until today, you would think the big Ford crowd would have been all over it. Keep up the good work, what other plans do you have for the old gal?
Thanks.

Plans are to restore to original. Just ordered material from SMS, original black on black "luxury" cloth interior. Shop is going to save decorative stripe down middle of seat and reinstall. Carpet is like new. Pulled and adding some sound deadening material now.

I think exhaust will be next. Considering mangnaflow mangapacks--little different than what is out there I see, but should sound good. Just hope not too loud. Anyone running magnapacks?

Then, off to the shop for someone to do the work I cannot--body and paint.

Goal is to have her on the road this summer...though...think that might have been my goal last summer too. haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My '66 was built in Los Angeles on 11-4-65. I have the engine apart and I found the heads still had the thermactor tubes running (blocking) right down the center of the exhaust port. Can't imagine that helped performance any. No other emission related stuff was on the car when I got it. Nice car by the way. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
16 Posts
"Fuel line opinions anyone? haha. Considering the original was a hose, might just go with updated rubber fuel line. Seem simpler than bending something to fit, and maybe just as safe so long as it is all tucked away as it should."

Are you talking fuel line from the tank or fuel line from the pump to the carb? I go a 25' roll of 3/8" aluminum tubing from Summit Racing for about 20 bucks. There is more than enough to do both sections.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Engine in, and mostly connected.

Few odds and ends missing or broken--back hoses, tranny cooling lines, choke lines. hope to get them sorted out tomorrow. Might even get a shot at starting if all goes smooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great work. I would love to see how the SMS door panels look.
sorry fried daddy, I can't help. I only ordered the seat and sail panel upholstery. luckily for me, my door panels are in great shape.

local shop taking on the challenge of recreating the original factory look.

I'll post some photos as I get going.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the 66 running over the weekend. Still a little rough, but should be able to spend a little time tuning it next weekend.

Got it up and down the driveway, but that is as far as I have made it so far. Hopefully ready for a trip around the block soon....though, not quite street legal in its current state.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts