Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Making progress.

Few weeks ago, installed ADDCO 816 front swaybar. Went very smooth. Fit perfect, great improvement with limited use so far (just around the block a few tims, since old 66 is not street legal in its current state).

Paid $99 plus $15 shipping on ebay.

Thought I would share a few pictures comparing the new vs OEM for those interested.

Trickiest part of the install, maneuvering the bar, my tires and body to I could get the bar back in place...without jacking up the car...haha...

20-30 minute project total.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice little upgrade, I think you'll like it. I put that same bar on my daily driver a few months ago and now the front corners of the car stay pretty level vs. that big dip they were making with the stock bar.

Don't know if I'll ever add the rear anti-sway bar as Addco recommends, I kind of like the way the rear end comes around now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Interior out, floors cleaned up, sealed and undercoated. Cleaned up surface rust with wire brush, hit with zero rust, covered with primer and evercoat undercoating. Plan to put down new sound deadner before jute and carpet.

Vinyl top off--no new rust found! Drip rails perfect. What a relief.

Front clip back on!

Next up, trip to body shop...I think.

Any 66 owners reading--I am looking for rear passenger wheel well lip trim if anyone has a lead.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
There is a guy named Bruce Miller from the Atlanta area that often has wheel lip mouldings for sale for 65-66 Galaxies. He has an older gentleman who restores them for him and they look really nice from the pictures I've seen in the past. I think he has posted here before, but not positive. I have his e-mail address if you want to PM me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nice little upgrade, I think you'll like it. I put that same bar on my daily driver a few months ago and now the front corners of the car stay pretty level vs. that big dip they were making with the stock bar.

Don't know if I'll ever add the rear anti-sway bar as Addco recommends, I kind of like the way the rear end comes around now.

With a rear bar installed, it should make the car rotate more easily. 😊

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Only took 4 months longer than expected--but body shop called my number a few weeks back.

Galaxie is off for metal work, body and paint.

Stopped by the body shop last week--doors, hood and trunk are off and body work starting. Will be media blasted next week. Progress!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thought I would share my arm rest restoration with the group--vacuum metalizing my arm rests.

Shopped around, checked prices and experience--found Frank Chester at Vacuum Orna Metal.

Very easy to work with, responded to calls and email quickly. Took about 4 weeks from start to finish--very happy with the quality. And price was great--think I paid $35 per? It is all based on size of armrest--starting at $22 each I think? You ship to him, he inspects and send you a quote. You pay shipping back (again, they did not overcharge).

Sent four armrests from my 66 LTD--they were in bad shape, but not cracked or chipped. Sorry, did not get any before photos! doh!

The after look great. Not sure how they will hold up, but have no reason to think there will be any problem. Chrome plastic film laid down nice, seems to have adhered very well.

Very happy with results. Look brand new.

Hope this helps someone.

Company Info:

Vacuum Orna Metal
11380 Harrison Rd. Romulus, MI 48174

800.827.6762 Local 734.941.9100
FAX 734.941.1127
email [email protected]
Visit our website at: http://www.vacuumorna-metal.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
made more progress...

Winter and work has slowed me down quite a bit, but picking up steam again.

Got the body media blasted, sanded down to bare metal and sealed. Starting to cut out rust around rear window now.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
made more progress... Winter and work has slowed me down quite a bit, but picking up steam again.
Hey Mr. DMP,
Just noticed your thread. Am impressed. Like what you've done, what you're doing, and what you have in mind. You go, guy!

Got the body media blasted, sanded down to bare metal and sealed. Starting to cut out rust around rear window now.
Going to look GREAT! You'll find that after it's done, everyone in the Wal*Mart, Lowe's, and Home Depot's parking lot will have had an uncle who had one JUST like yours! :)

Keep up the good work, and good luck.

JC

PS: Did you REALLY get the OLD Stabilizer Bar to come out and the NEW one to go in without dropping a Lower Control Arm?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
made more progress...

Winter and work has slowed me down quite a bit, but picking up steam again.

Hello dmp1,

Nice work. If you do not mind me asking what is your plan to mend the corrosion around the rear window? Hand forming patch panels or donor sheet metal?

Keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hello dmp1,

Nice work. If you do not mind me asking what is your plan to mend the corrosion around the rear window? Hand forming patch panels or donor sheet metal?

Keep up the good work :)
Rear window work is done. Friend helped me knock it out. Cut out, fabricated new insert. will have to figure out how to add the window trim clips?

Think it came out great.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey Mr. DMP,
Just noticed your thread. Am impressed. Like what you've done, what you're doing, and what you have in mind. You go, guy!

Going to look GREAT! You'll find that after it's done, everyone in the Wal*Mart, Lowe's, and Home Depot's parking lot will have had an uncle who had one JUST like yours! :)

Keep up the good work, and good luck.

JC

PS: Did you REALLY get the OLD Stabilizer Bar to come out and the NEW one to go in without dropping a Lower Control Arm?
Thanks JC. The words of encouragement always help--this has been a long project.

Yes the stabilizer bar came out, and went back in without dropping the control arm...but it was a task. Glad no one was in my driveway watching as I did it. Must have taken 45 minutes and tried about 5 different approaches before finding the correct, "this end first, over shoot, back up, flips upside down" and then in!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Major body work is finally complete. puled apart, gaps aligned, sealed, primed, first blocking complete. Hope to prime again this weekend and let the pros get to work on the final blocking, paint prep.

Starting to organize my garage, and parts for the pending arrival...feel like I have a new baby coming home from the hospital! haha

Hope you enjoy the photos. Thanks for the emails and comments.

Attachments

21 - 34 of 34 Posts