Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My freshly built 408w has maaaybe 10 hrs on it... the stock autozone starter on it appears to be fried... it makes a grinding zing type noise...

Considering i have a toploader 4 speed and hooker super comps... can someone tell me starter would be good? From your experience.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
May not be the correct one for your flywheel.

I tried a popular aftermarket one sold to match my toploader and got maybe a year out of it before I had the same problem as you. It tore up about half the thickness of the flywheel teeth and would no longer engage. I threw in an old Ford starter and off it went and I was able to finish the race season. Over the winter I had the flywheel ring gear replaced. The ring gear has remained near perfect after a couple of years use.

Since then I only use Ford designed starters for my car. The header heat takes a toll on them (tube only a few thousandths from it) and they are good for about 1 1/2-2 years, even with a heat deflector. Now its simply an electrical issue, not a destructive mechanical issue. I get mine from Advance, so they may use a different rebuilder. It doesn't matter because they are cheap and our local store stocks them since they were used on trucks through the 80's.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I am just running a remanufactured version of the original starter that was on my 302....I got it way back in the mid 90s and its still going strong...I am even running locked out timing at 34 degrees and it still cranks it up no problem (although it protests a little when the engine is hot). :D

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Did you install the block plate?
+1. Along with that question - Ford (and aftermarket) made ring gears for two basic styles of 157T manual flywheels. One places the ring gear near the front face fo the flywheel, and the other places it near the rear face. Is your flywheel ring gear spaced about 1/4" from the block, or about 1" from the block?

If your flywheel is an original '60s version, it should be close to the block, though not all were. If it's late-model or aftermarket, they are usually spaced to the rear. Which one it is will verify what starter type you need, and then we can give you the Ford mini-geared (PMGR) starter number.

David

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx guys. Yes on the stock block plate. It is an aftermarket 157 took Ram Clutch flywheel. It is placed an inch away. Not 1/4 away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts