Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed a shift kit in my 66 mustang gt. I noticed when i put the vb back in that i could not move the kickdown for passing gear. I went to the linkage on the carb and the throttle would not open but about 1/4 of the way. I must have put the the kickdown in the wrong slot in the vb or something. can anyone help???

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
On 2006-10-22 09:38, splicer4u2 wrote:
i just installed a shift kit in my 66 mustang gt. I noticed when i put the vb back in that i could not move the kickdown for passing gear. I went to the linkage on the carb and the throttle would not open but about 1/4 of the way. I must have put the the kickdown in the wrong slot in the vb or something. can anyone help???
Yep, easy enough to miss putting them in place.

Here are a couple of pics that that I took a long time ago showing both the internal rods and the top of the valve body of a 66 C4:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
make sure the shift arm end goes into the slot cut into the round notched rod, and make sure the detent arm with the little bent finger end is in front of the shift down plunger.

FE

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i believe i have it in the rod, it will not let the throttle open but 1/4 throttle. Is it possible i put it in the wrong slot on the rod? i believe i have two different slots that it could go into. it is possible something is put together wrong in the tb? how far is the rod suppose to slide?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The kick down rod doesn't go into a slot. It goes to the rear of the rod on the end of the kick down valve.With the valve body on the bench the shift linkage goes into the last slot on the valve spool that freely moves back and forth with your fingers. the kick down valve is the one toward the center of the valve body from the shift valve and it has a return spring on it. When you push the kick down valve in it will return on its own. In the tranny the shift linkage mates with a detent spring arm that makes the shift valve click into place in each of the gears. The kick down linkage is held in the low pressure position by the spring and the lever pushes it in as you swing it through its travel (about an inch or so) but it has no detent. If it is out of place you will get vey little if any travel out of it at all.
To correct the situation, jack the car up on all four wheels so you can get under it and block it up using good stands or "crib" style blocking.
Drain and pull the pan. Disconnect the shifter linkage from the transmission and check that you get 5 clicks in each direction when you move the shift lever on the transmission. If you don't then you are in the wrong place on the shift valve.
Disconnect the kick down linkage from the lever on the transmission. Move it in both directions. Moving it to the rear of the car it should travel about an inch and return under spring pressure to a stop. It should NOT move in the other direction. If it does not move, or moves very little in both directions then the lever is out of position in the tranny.
If you have problems in either of these areas you will have to remove the valve body from the tranny and get the levers in the right place as you reinstall it in the transmission.
It can be a tedious task to get both levers lined up properly at the same time while trying to get the bolts back in the valve body to hold it in place. It can be done and with a bit of practice in is not all that hard. Most people don't get much practice at installing valve bodies so it is always a challenge.
Good luck,
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts