Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was about to order a new carpet for my 66' but before I do I wanted to ask you guys this: What is the difference between the "80/20 loop", and the "nylon loop"? Will one hold up better than the other in a driver? Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well, I used to work in a vintage mustang shop for over 20 years . The 80/20 used to be the better quality carpet to hold up over the long run. Then around y2k the EPA came down on the type of chemicals used by the manufacturers to dye the carpet. From our experience, the 100% nylon held the dye better than the 80/20. It is a bit softer though. We only sold the best carpet out there, and for a while, if you'd spill even water on the 80/20, when you wiped it down, it would release the dye from the carpet and you'd have a lighter colored area. Haven't been there in 2-3 years and I hope that the quality has gotten better.

Summary: 80/20 more durable and firmer, but 100% will hold the color better if you're going to be spilling a lot!!

If anyone else has some info, I'd like to hear it as well. Hoped this helped.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Nylon is the Most resilient of all the (man made) fibers used to make carpet.

Hard to know what the 20% is but it is most likely Acrylic or Polyester ... not so likely Olefin but none are as resilient as Nylon. Resilient meaning it will come cack to "normal" form and not remain crushed or patterned from wear.

For my money I would go 100% nylon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts