Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do folks do to get inside of the cowl ( the air inlet under the windshield) when they want to restor it. I know that these early modle mustangs had a host of problems with rotting of the steel inside these cowels. Mine look fine right now, but I want to stop the problem before anything happens

How do you get inside to repair this rust?

Is the only way to rip it open and replace the enting afterwards?

What about pouring a chemical stripper down there, then pouring paint to seal it after nutrilizing the stripper?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
407 Posts
MIke, I removed both fenders then cut a large u shape on each side of the cowl . This allowed me to fully inspect the cowl area and make needed repairs. then when done I bend them back down welded them and seal them with body sealer. This Worked well for me.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
On 2006-07-22 22:03, 460 Tom wrote:
MIke, I removed both fenders then cut a large u shape on each side of the cowl . This allowed me to fully inspect the cowl area and make needed repairs. then when done I bend them back down welded them and seal them with body sealer. This Worked well for me.
This is the way I do cars that have vents that appear to be in decent shape. When I do this, I also drop the air vent and the heater box inside the car for a more thorough repair.

I've heard of putting hot roofing tar between the air inlet vents--sounded to iffy to me.

I've also removed the fenders, windshield and the whole cowl before. Makes for a nice permanent repair plus you can have nice color matching paint that is visible below the inlet air vents.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the web links.

New question, since I do not currently seem to have this problem, did the assembly lines start to paint the insides for my 66??

The pervious owner of my car for 20 years dripped oil into the vent every now and then to adhear to the metal for exactly this issue.

The down side is, when I replaced the heater box, there was oil in it, that I have since cleaned out.

So if I get a can opener, and I don't have any rust, then I can just rubber coat the insides and be OK?

Mike

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Yes, it is my understanding that Ford did not paint, nor primer in the cowl area. These cars were being mass produced and were not being built to last as many years has they have.

I would not plan on just applying a rubber coat. Rust can form under it. You need to spend a little more time than that if you want to prevent future rust.

I would clean out any debris and rust I found, remove any of the remaining seam sealant around the vents, remove all traces of oil, and then epoxy primer (or use something like POR 15) everything I could reach through the access holes made under the fenders and through the interior vents. Allow it to dry, reapply seam sealer around the vents (again allowing it to setup, apply a top coat of some type, and then you could apply rubber a rubber coat afterwards if you wanted--although it really wouldn't be needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts