Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the complicated brake tech out there, let me ask this; why can't I just buy the 1966 booster and mastercylinder from advanced for 170 bucks and use it with my granada conversion? Is there some reason that this will not work? It is a 500 with a 289, a/c and power steering.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What you should do (IMO) is find the GRANADA/MONARCH/MAVERICK/COMET booster setup takeoff, use it to make the changeover and then use the MC and booster as core swap. You will also need the GRANADA combination valve.

It makes more sense to me rather than mounting GM style barking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the problem is; the booster and master cylinder from the granada will not fit between the shock tower and the firewall. Advanced auto has a master cylinder and booster combo that is listed as OEM for a 66. I was just wondering if this is correct, why aren't people using it?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
OK, I see what you are saying now. Yes, the OEM booster and MC will work with the GRANADA front disc swap. Just make sure the MC is DISC/DRUM and the correct booster should be included.

Maybe consider the GRANADA combination valve as all the valves needed (except rear residual) are included.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:confused:

Do you have the original booster and MC? Is this a full sized FORD or what?

You want to go with a dual reservoir MC, correct?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it is a 1966 fairlane, so I would say it is fullsize for sure. I put a 78 granada front end under it. all new everything, spindles, rotors, springs, everything. Now what I really want is power brakes. I can't find a model that fits between the firewall and the shock tower, there is about 10.5 inches of room there. I have found a few after market combinations but they are $$$. What I would love to find out is if there is a actual factory combination that will fit my application. Yes, I have the single reservoir now and definitely want dual, but power also.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You need to find a 67 FAIRLANE/COMET MC/Booster (dual reservoir MC) take-off and use those for a core charge or have the booster rebuilt.

Search for A1 CARDONE rebuilds. You want to find a donor to get all of the necessary attaching parts.

Product Detail

Does this make sense?

Try Woody's Fairlane site as they will most likely have the correct solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CARDONE 50-9298 Power Brake Unit
Reman A-1 Cardone Vacuum Power Brake Booster w/Master C
Does anyone know anything about these mc booster combos? Cardone says they are a direct fit. They are very odd looking.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Shown is a 1967 FAIRLANE booster and dual reservoir (OEM) SETUP.

You need to find this off an old car to get all of the parts.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If that doesn;t work or fit, do try Master Power brakes, their tech.people seem to know their stuff.
I;m not that familiar with the 66 p.booster/mc set up, i think it differs from the 62-64;s.
My problem was finding a p.booster/mc to clear the shock tower & the simplest fix was a Mustang 11 p. booster(short,fat)with a aluminum 97 Mustang GT MC. (i;m running 4 wheel disc brakes same as the 90;s Mustangs).
This combination was suggested by MPB tech. guy, who knew the Mustang 11 booster was quite short, & i now have the best brakes i;ve ever had!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts