Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, Where can I get a pitman for my 66 with power steering? All I can find is one for a manual steering.

I'm guessing here but doesn't the PS pitman arm come with no stud on it but both ends are open?

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
What does the one you have on there now look like?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to crawl under her and see, I've been busy with other things but will look Wednesday for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
LOL, no, don't bother. Let me crawl under and look at mine :)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK....mine is open at both ends and the arm itself is very curvey, there is no stud that's part of it like on a manual pitman arm.
But what I wonder about is how could this part ever go bad or get worn enough to have to replace?

I would think it would be what the pitman arm mounts too on either end.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Have had good luck sourcing factory steering parts at Kanter auto Products, they carried everything i needed, whereas other suppliers seemed to have this & that but, not everything

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roger, Kanter doesn't have the pitman arm for PS on the 66 Fairlane but I found a rebuilt one at Chockostang for $50! I talked to Dan there and all he does is rebuild or collect new old Ford steering and brake parts.

Chockostangclassicmustang.com

Pretty good site too.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Did you find out where it wears out?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the looks of it, when it moves you can see the pitman arm move side to side a bit which I'm guessing now is the splines are getting loose. It's not easy to tell which part or parts move first but I'm starting with the pitarm sence it's cheaper then a steering box...LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts