Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I just found this site and joined, as it seems you have a good thing going. I am looking forward to helping anyone and getting help from anyone so it is nice to meet all of you. NOW THE QUESTION..... I have a 66 Galaxie 7 litre with a "really worked" 428. I am running Detriot Lockered 4.33 and BF Goodrich Drag radials and my first launch, everything went very bad.........Horrible, violent wheel hop. Year ago I would run the car hard all day and have no wheel hop(Bias Ply Tires). I replaced all of my bushings and still got wheel hop. It actually feels as if my rear moves when torque is applied at all. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO........ IT SEEMS THAT MY REAR IS OVER TO ONE SIDE MORE THAN THE OTHER, IS THAT NORMAL FOR THE 66?? MY CAR HAS BEEN LIKE THIS AS LONG AS I HAVE HAD IT, EVEN WHEN THERE WAS NO WHEEL HOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do you have a auto or a stick?
What springs and shocks?

If you moved the car up from the factory ride height the rear will move to the drivers side more because you efectivly shorten it. I instaled an adjustable panhard bar to center things up.

As far as the wheel hop I had the same problemn with the drag radials, I adjusted the pinion "with the factory adjuster" to 4 deg neg and whent to a softer shock and spring.
Now if the track hooks it does not hop but if the tires spin at all it goes to hoping. I have a set of 28X10.50 mickeys and they have never hoped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 4 spped stick car and the rear coils are new "variable rate" fasback springs. I had lakewood drag shocks on it, air shocks on it and now QA-1 twelve way adjustable shocks. I am going to be mounting an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear, and I am thinking of some type of adjustable upper control arm. Currently, the upper is adjusted all the way back, if not it seems like my passenger side tire goes forward to far. As a matter of fact, the tire seems more forward anyways on the passenger side. I just got my car off of the frame rack and had to have some corrections made but it did not help the rear end hop. Thanks

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Stock control arms?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Is the upper original rubber?

Here is our 65's. Poly in everything.

Boxed upper and lowers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of my Control Arms(Upper and Lower) had the bushing replaced, with rubber however! My Upper is not boxed. What poly bushings do I use for the upper? What poly bushings do I use for the lower?? Where is the adjustment of your upper? Mine is adjusted all the way out and my rear is still too far farward on the paasenger side. ALSO.... What are the plates on your lower control arms, my 66 does not have them, nor have I seen them on other 66's. Thanks again, CHRIS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more question??? I don't do many "turns" with my 7 Litre, as I built it for mostly street/strip........I haven't considered a rear stabilizer bar for those reasons, but would it help in any way for the Wheel Hop?? Wehn I say wheel hop, I mean that I can not even do a burn out or slam gears!!! Whenever the tires break loose, the car bounces hard!!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I bet its your tires! What tire are you running and PSI. My brother in law had the same problem. Its the lack of traction from the tire. Have you lowered your PSI and tried that?

I used the poly bushing kit from Energy suspension for a 73 Torino. $54 @ summit. It worked for the upper and lowers. I had to modify the little rings in the kit to fit the lowers but no big deal.

Sway bar most likely wont solve any wheel hop. If your wheel is forward I cant tell you much about that one.

My upper is set to where it was factory. And rubber bushings will not help in resolving any wheel hop either.

Your wheel being to far forward stumps the hell out of me. Can you post some pics? I see your a subscriber.
Picture hosting comes with the subscription.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree, the tires could be a large part of the problem. I have run several different kinds of tires on mine with stock suspension and worn out everything with no wheel hop, so I would say the tires would be where I would start. After that, I would consider an anti-roll bar like the Chevelle guys run. You can get a universal one and weld it in, or you could go with an air bag in the right rear spring. Just some more thoughts. The lower bushings from a 2000 Camaro can also be used in the lower arms. Only mod is to drill out the bolt hole to a 9/16" hole. I manufactured my own upper so I used the same bushings there, but the Camaro bushings will not fit a stock upper arm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am running BF Goodrich drag radials, and I have tried many different air pressures. As far as the lower contol arms, if the 2000 are a direct fit...... Does that mean I can use the aluminum lower control arms bushings from Competition Engineering and they will fit fine???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am running BF Goodrich drag radials, and I have tried many different air pressures. As far as the lower contol arms, if the 2000 are a direct fit...... Does that mean I can use the aluminum lower control arms bushings from Competition Engineering and they will fit fine???

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-04-14 09:56, christess wrote:
Camaro bushings are not a direct fit.

But the Energy Suspension kit 4.3120R is for the most part.

Those little rings for the lowers need to be trimmed down (use a grinder and caution eye protection etc.)
The upper does not need the rings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I will try these Energy Suspension Poly bushings, BUT.... Looking at the application guide, it says that you have to reuse the outer shell for the upper control arm. Is that for the Galaxie also, or just the cars that this Part# actually pertains to(eg:, Torino, t-bird, ranchero, ect??) IF I DO have to re-use the outer shell, what do I have to do, burn the rubber out of the original?? I don't even remember what they consist of........ THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-04-14 20:33, christess wrote:
Okay, I will try these Energy Suspension Poly bushings, BUT.... Looking at the application guide, it says that you have to reuse the outer shell for the upper control arm. Is that for the Galaxie also, or just the cars that this Part# actually pertains to(eg:, Torino, t-bird, ranchero, ect??) IF I DO have to re-use the outer shell, what do I have to do, burn the rubber out of the original?? I don't even remember what they consist of........ THANKS EVERYONE!!!!
You use the shells for the lowers in the kit (not pictured above). Use reuse your upper shells.

You can drill the rubber out of your upper depending on how old they are. Most say burning them out then cleaning with a wire brush or fine sandpaper works great. We drilled ours out, Used a sawsall to cut a teeny tiny slit in the lowers shell to release the pressure from being pressed in and they fell out. (patience is key dont cut into the arm)

Now what size is that BFG dragradial?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts