Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on a 66 falcon rear. Are the spring pads located the same distance as the earlier falcons? Basically going to look for a V8 8" to swap in. Maverick, Granada? What will bolt in? Thanks in advance. benc

·
Registered
681 Posts
im not sure on 66 but on my 68 the springs are not the same as a mustang.
i look fore rearends out of 68-69 fairlane torino montego.
im sure there are other cars as well.
on my 68 falcon the springs are 441/2" center to center.
i also have a rearend from a 68 fairlane it is the same.
i think i remember a 67 fairlane that was also the same.
i think mustang springs are further apart.
good luck look fore fairlanes the had 351w or 390 they would have a 9"

68 falcon fact ac
67 falcon next project no motor or trans no rot either

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68sportcoup on 10/11/06 4:05am ]</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 68 sportcoup for the info. This is for a friends project, and I didn't know the answer. I tried search feature, but could not get a definative answer. He's uprading the 6cyl to a 302 and disc brakes. I think the front suspention is the same for the V8 car, just the hub is different. Is that correct? Anyone else?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: benc on 10/21/06 11:15pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I too don't know about the '66. On my '68 I used a 9" out of (I think) a '70 or '71 Mustang. Overall width was 2" wider than the 8" I took out, and the spring pads were in the same location.

But a little welding is usually required on projects and in the grand scheme of things moving spring perch location isn't too daunting of a task so you might consider that as an option.

Murff

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Murph, thats just the info I needed. I was pretty sure the spring pad distance remained the same, but didn't want to give any bad info. The kid it belongs to does not live very close to me, so actual measurements are hard to do. He has had this 66 sport coupe for 1 year and no tickets or accidents and for getting good grades his uncle (my friend) is going to upgrade his ride to a V8 setup with disc brakes. I am donating my old "green dot" C4 and coverter to the project as he is on a pretty tight budget. Thanks to all who responded for the info. Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts