Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a given that a 66 bird would have a C6 trans. and a 9" rear? What gear ratio would be used? I havent researched or obained any numbers from the car yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually, 66 Birds also came with Cruise O Matic trannys.
I have two of em, neither has a C6.

On the driver's door, there is a plate with codes. This will give you engine, tranny, gear ratio, plant, color, and other stuff.
I have some great resources and original shop manual for TBird help.
If you send me the codes from the door, I will look up the specs for you. Drop me a line and I'll point you to some forums, etc. these cars have a lot of things that are pretty "odd" due to the fact that they were cutting edge at the time. Things like the lifting of the shifter to start the car, are things all "flair bird" owners can help you with.

Cheers
Scott

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well not that I would ever assume, but i'm glad I didnt assume.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
66 T-birds that came from the factory with 428 motors came with C-6 automatic transmissions. 390 T-birds came with C-O-M transmissions.

John Knight
Thunderbirds, 64's, 57, 2002
Bountiful, Utah

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 66 thunderbird with a 390 and it has a c6.To tell look at the housing, if it's all aluminum than its a c6. If it has a cast iron center body it is a cruise-a-matic. Now the c6 in 1966 used the cruise-a-matic shift pattern. Only the fairlane gta had what was called the sport shift pattern used from 1967 on. that is why you don't find a shift kit for a 1966 c6.
You best look for a 1967 or later trans. You can't just change the valve body.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's got a 5 speed out of a 2000 mustang cobra with a spec ceramic button clutch assembly. 4.11 equalock 9" rear. Main body has not been cut. Has digital gauges so I can recalibrated speedo quickly. engine puts out 370 [email protected] and 475 ft lbs torqe @ 3000.
Does like to BURN the Tires!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: casscomputers on 4/14/06 9:16pm ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts