Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody have one stock in your car? Just reading through the Monterey’s owner’s manual and it shows how to use it, never seen one, must be rare. Something this car does have is intermittent wipers, I thought that was pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Intermittent wipers were a big thing with Mercury, had a 65 Park Lane and a 67 Cyclone with them. Need a shop manual to diagnose. Intermittent will not work if engine not running. Vacuum over electric, will go into high speed if you floor the accelerator. Tilt started after the slide away ended in 65. I have one from a 68 Galaxie in old parts stash that I was planning to use and saw one in a 67 Lincoln. Think they may be quite rare around here.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to add tilt to mine and keep the stock steering wheel. I think I talked to Ididit once and they can do that. I bet finding a factory one wouldn’t be easy. Thanks for the info on the wipers. Haven’t got the car started yet so don’t know if they work.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I would like to add tilt to mine and keep the stock steering wheel. I think I talked to Ididit once and they can do that. I bet finding a factory one wouldn’t be easy. Thanks for the info on the wipers. Haven’t got the car started yet so don’t know if they work.
Hello nytling92,

You would be better off finding a properly made aftermarket one rather than a OEM tilt column, especially if it's a floor shift tilt column. Those are rare as hens teeth and command high dollar amounts (think around a grand). I have a friend who rebuilds old Ford tilt and swing away columns and even the parts for them are ridiculous in price. He has a nice collection of NOS parts and custom made parts for those of which are no longer available. Just to rebuild an existing tilt and or swing away column is pretty pricey because of the scarcity of the parts.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm currently fiddling with adding a tilt column to my 70. I bought a complete tilt column from a 72 Park Avenue wagon last summer with the hope of either swapping all of it, or some of it into my car. Something I've found is there was a design change in the columns between 70 and 72, so the guts won't swap over. The 72 has the key cylinder in a different location, a little lower than the 70. The internals of the 72 column are identical to whats in my 88 F150, in which I had to replace the actuator rod on last year. I'm hoping the plastic shrouds from my car will fit over the 72 column and just the cast metal bit with the key cylinder will need to be painted to match my interior.

On a side note, is there a way to remove a key cylinder without a key, besides drilling the center of it out? I never thought to ask about a key at the salvage yard, but I doubt they would have had one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
70XL,
In 72 Ford really didn't use that many keys and it is common for one key to fit several cars. My theory is that if you can remove the lock and understand how to remove the cylinder, you could take it to a car show or Ford meet of some kind and explain you problem to people there who have the same style lock. You might find someone with a key that works. Take the cylinder out with their key and give it to them. Then order a new cylinder with keys.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
You mean a Park Lane? Yes 70 was a little different. Any chance the 70 was supplied by Saginaw? AMC used the GM supplied tilt columns till the end. All of the AMC Eagles were floor shift and I had 2 with tilt wheel. Should have saved the parts. Yes to dbirds suggestion on the keys, I have a whole basket of leftovers and have been able to find one to fit on more than one occasion. On Ford double sided be sure to flip it over if it doesn't work the first time. Without a key it's a gruesome task with a drill as oulined in the shop manuals of the day.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You mean a Park Lane? Yes 70 was a little different. Any chance the 70 was supplied by Saginaw? AMC used the GM supplied tilt columns till the end. All of the AMC Eagles were floor shift and I had 2 with tilt wheel. Should have saved the parts. Yes to dbirds suggestion on the keys, I have a whole basket of leftovers and have been able to find one to fit on more than one occasion. On Ford double sided be sure to flip it over if it doesn't work the first time. Without a key it's a gruesome task with a drill as oulined in the shop manuals of the day.
Actually, I believe what I meant to say was Colony Park. It was a station wagon. I knew Park Avenue didn't sound quite right, but Colony Park just wasn't in my head that day. LOL. Unfortunately we don't have swap meets and the like around here. I think a drill is going to be my only way out.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I drilled the key cylinder out on the weekend and didn't cause too much damage to the casting, I hope. I did look on RockAuto and the key cylinder for the 72 is the same as for a 70, so I should be able to swap my existing key cylinder into the tilt column, when the time comes. I am pleased with that, no re keying. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts