Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Cool tar running up hill in the winter time flows faster then that. I still say it's the lifters themselves otherwise you'd burned up bearings down low.
I'm conflicted. On the one hand I totally agree - if there were a major oiling problem like restriction or leak other stuff would be showing symptoms as well. But on the other if there were a manufacturing defect with the lifters (like in the thread others have referenced) what are the odds all 16 would be defective.

Only one way to find out at this point.

·
Registered
63 convertable
688 Posts
use the borescope at the timing chain. run the pump and look for oil coming out of the gallery

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd pull the heads to pull the lifters and replace them. And the oilpan and inspect a few bearings. If you do keep the roller cam, call whoever's lifters you plan on using and ask them if they work with the older block.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
use the borescope at the timing chain. run the pump and look for oil coming out of the gallery
I was going to try just that but couldn't get the scope positioned where by I could definitively conclude oil was coming from the galley plug as opposed to where it's supposed to be coming from. Let alone the physical dexterity required to do that AND turn the oil pump at the same time - all through the distributor hole.

So good idea but I couldn't make it work. Have you and if so what was your secret?

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I managed to check the oil screen yesterday and it's an honest 3/8" from the bottom of the pan. I couldn't see the whole thing but even it were cocked and touching the pan on the side I couldn't see there would be plenty of gap I'd say.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts