Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem getting my LTD to idle properly. I can keep the engine going by keeping my foot on the gas pedal but it won't idle correctly without my foot on the gas pedal. Runs smooth as can be when i'm revving the engine but that's it.
I first noticed a slight problem with power when climbing my short driveway. I could not get up the driveway without pressing on the accelerator repeatedly, basically pumping the gas. About a month later, the car just stopped idling altogether. The engine will rev up and remain up if I keep my foot on the accelerator pedal.
I have rebuilt the carburetor and changed the points/condensor. I checked the dwell and that's good. The choke plate is all the way open when the engine is hot, but still no idle. If I increase the idle with the idle screw on the throttle, the car will run, but it's kinda rough and I can hear the carburetor spitting just a little bit. I also noticed that fuel drips onto the venturi tube openings, which doesn't look right to me, but I don't know if it should be dripping/spraying or what if I have the idle screw turned up a couple of turns.
I've fixed a leaky vacuum canister, so there is a good vacuum in the car now.
I'm suspecting some problem with fuel delivery but don't really know how to pin it down. Should I try replacing the fuel filter and maybe the fuel pump? I haven't driven the car even 500 miles in 2012, and I've been having this problem since about September of 2012.
Thanks - Bill

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
My 67 390 2v does that but in my case it blows the power valve. Replace it and it's good for a while. My repair man told me that probably the ones we are getting are old and have been on the shelf a few years.

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
For idling problems the critical passages are the teensy holes right where throttle plates are. If you use carb cleaner instead of compressed ait be sure to use goggles.

If the carb is an autolite you can lift the top while the car is idling and see where the fuel level is. Should be 1" from the top of the bowl when idling. If that is okay, then the problem is not in the pump or filter or the tank.

In the morning look again. If the bowl is empty the power valve or more likely its gasket, is leaking. Remove the carb, keep it level and unscrew the power valve housing. It should not be full of gas. In my autozone kit the gasket was too thin, I had to use two of them to get a good seal. Still, does not seem like a leaky PV would cause those kind of idle problems.

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
reemove the booster assy, and check the tiny tubes hanging down.

Which reminds me, I had lost and then made my own weight to sit on top of the checkball. Trouble was I made it out of a nail. It would stick in the "up" position which totally un-checked the check ball. If you have fuel dripping out of the venturi when you pull the booster like galz says, check that the weight is in there, and free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks y'all for all of the suggestions. I'll get to it this afternoon/evening and let you know what I find out!
One follow-up question - by "booster" do you mean brake booster? I can take that out of the vacuum mix easily enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts