Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wagon came with a 390 2v engine. The 390 motor has C6ME-A stampped on the side and a date code 7C7 and my car build date was March 17th 1967.

My question:
Is that a correct block with the "M" for Mercury even though its a Ford and could have "A" instead?

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Whoa. I thought the M would be Mercury and an A would be for ford. I have a Mercury cruise o matic in the 65 gal with 65 part number designations. If you ask enough people, you would get the info that Ford would use Mercury parts to complete assy if need be, or if there are parts in surplus.

· Registered
412 Posts
C6ME is a common casting found on FE's I have a 352 standard bore block from a 67 pickup original, with C6ME on it.

It don't stand for mercury :)
It may not stand for Mercury, but it is the designator of parts for the Mercury vehicle line. There are numerous parts that cross over, but more Ford parts would go on Mercury vehicles than vice-versa.

· Registered
4 Posts
I started to think that my 1967 Galaxie 4 door may have been "pre" assembled in 1966. Seemed, to the best of my uneducated guess was that for example the second character in to be in this case (6) being a 1966, and the (M) to be the make/"model", in this case Mercury. MERCURY / FORD / LINCOLN ; dealerships. My California department of vehicle pink slip states the year to be 1967 4 door (color_beige).

· Registered
4 Posts
Ford/ Mercury/ Lincoln providers. I was thinking that my 1967 was assembled in 1966 and that might have been the purpose for having a 1966 Merc block stamped C6ME-A. I still need to do my Marty report which will give the intricate depiction based off the Vehicle Identification Number aka "VIN" #. I 100% believe the wonderful person was God sent, the man who sold me the Classic blessing. I'm stoked. GOD send. I legit overdrawn my checking account in order to reassure our possession. I owe it to the infinate world to state the truth to the best of my ability and plan on only expressing experiences and opinions. I'd graciously state facts as fact surface. :coffee::cool::poop::poop:

· Registered
412 Posts
Unless there was a significant engineering change, the same casting numbers and part numbers often carried on through several model years, so not surprising to see lots of C6... part numbers on '67s, probably at least a few parts with even earlier codes.

The engines have an assembly date hand-stamped into the blocks as well. This is the best way to infer whether or not your engine was built for, and shipped with your car. Should be reasonably close to the scheduled build date of the car as found on the data plate, but before that date (with some rare exceptions) by a few weeks to a couple months.

· Registered
795 Posts
Ford/ Mercury/ Lincoln providers. I was thinking that my 1967 was assembled in 1966 and that might have been the purpose for having a 1966 Merc block stamped C6ME-A. I still need to do my Marty report which will give the intricate depiction based off the Vehicle Identification Number aka "VIN" #. I 100% believe the wonderful person was God sent, the man who sold me the Classic blessing. I'm stoked. GOD send. I legit overdrawn my checking account in order to reassure our possession. I owe it to the infinate world to state the truth to the best of my ability and plan on only expressing experiences and opinions. I'd graciously state facts as fact surface. :coffee::cool::poop::poop:
Holy cow.

• Haha
Reactions: Jazzmeister
1 - 10 of 10 Posts