Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday I'm going to go look at a '67 Galaxie 500. The owner is telling me no rust, its been in the SW USA its entire life.

1. 390 FE, stroked to a 455.
2. TKO 600 trans with overdrive
3. good, not great paint
4. drivetrain outstanding
5. Factory air doesn't work
6. power steering
7. paint a 7 out of 10
8. interior 8 out of 10
9. mechanically 10 out of 10 aside from A/C.
10. disc brakes

The guy seems legit and honest. I'll know more when I see the car.

Asking $24k, assuming the car is what he says it is fair price? high/low?

Thanks
All

·
Super Moderator
21,516 Posts
I don't know if it's a fair price but don't think you could build it yourself for that if it's as good as described. I'd be sure to check it out good including water and oil and underneath. More times than not it's worth what is asked if it is to the buyer. :) To me i'm cheap and think it's too much. BUT that's just me!

Good luck with the inspection and possible new ride!

·
Registered
466 Posts
These cars like to rust no matter the climate.

One critical area to check is the frame rails right behind the front wheels.

Water and dirt get kicked up into the holes that are in the bottom of the frame rail.
The mud collected there retains moisture and rots the frame rail from the inside.
The rail can look solid from the outside, but the metal can be paper thin.

Not structurally critical like the frame, but the rear quarter wheel openings also like to rust.

It would be quite rare to see one that has not rusted, or had repairs in that area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Of course any car is worth whatever someone will pay. I've seen some really nice '67's for a lot less than that one. For starters certainly for that price the paint should be great and the air should work. I personally would not pay near that. As an example, I recently bought a '68. Now right out of the gate the '67 will bring more I know but I will duplicate you list for my car.

1. 390 FE recent .30 over rebuild
2. C6 transmission recently rebuilt.
3. great paint - its perfect even close up
4. drivetrain outstanding
5. Factory air doesn't work - ironically true for me too
6. power steering
7. paint a 10 out of 10
8. interior 9 out of 10
9. mechanically 10 out of 10 aside from A/C.
10. drum brakes

So the car your looking at is definitely worth more no question but I paid $6K for mine. Good luck whichever way you go!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts