Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the rear end assembly tag from my XL.

It reads:

WDC - CA

2 75 7FA 116

Am I correct that it is:

28 spline axle passenger car

2.75:1 (matches my door tag perfectly :))

9" ring gear

Date: 1st week of June 1967
( If so, fits in all of the rest of the dating for my car's build of July 17, 1967.)

I am not sure what the last 3 digits - 116 mean.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Tommy

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
That's all correct. The last set of numbers in the '60s was apparently an assembly code, indicating the number of pinion gears (spiders - in your case 2), bearings used, etc. I do not have a decoder for that.

David

PS: Though you didn't mention it, that unit is not a 'locking' or limited-slip version. That is indicated by the letter "L" in the gear ratio blank space, such as: 2L75

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
correct. It has a space in that digit location. So that means that it is an "open" differential right?

What exactly does that mean?

I know that when I har The Beast on the road, if I stomped the gas from a stop, it would cut loose most of the way through first gear.

·
Registered
622 Posts
correct. It has a space in that digit location. So that means that it is an "open" differential right?

What exactly does that mean?

I know that when I har The Beast on the road, if I stomped the gas from a stop, it would cut loose most of the way through first gear.
it means you're doing pegleggers lol. only one wheel spins. power goes to the wheel with least traction in your case

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol I knew that,,sucks only leaving one swath of rubber :)

So how much wear and tear does it cause on bearings and such if I put in a 4.11 locking diff? (considering what I have to work with that is)

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
If properly set-up, no noticeable difference. Note that we are not talking a solid locked spool, but a locking or limited-slip differential that allows the wheels to turn at different speeds in normal turns.

David

·
Registered
622 Posts
Lol I knew that,,sucks only leaving one swath of rubber :)

So how much wear and tear does it cause on bearings and such if I put in a 4.11 locking diff? (considering what I have to work with that is)
as stated, not much wear or difference. i upgraded to 31 spline axles and got 3.70 gears with a Detroit locker. i kinda wish i would have gone with 3.90 or 4.11

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts