Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine has a 67 Stang, 289, C4. He's been pouring money into restoring it, which he was pretty much done, but now the tranny is leaking fluid, and dripping onto the exhaust, which sends out plumes of smoke.

Heres the deal, we've figured out where it comes out, we've put on new hoses, tightened them, we even took it to a shop and he said it should be fine, but after going on the freeway for a little while, it starts dripping and smoking off the exhaust, what could be the problem here, its driving us both nuts, probably more so him than me.
Any Ideas what might be causing it to leak no matter what we try?

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
It might be something as simple as too much fluid. Fluid will blow out the overflow at high speeds if it's overfilled.Where is the leak at?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I knew which line it was, well, its a rubber hose, leading from what I think is the resivoir to the tranny. What I am sure of is that its not overfilling, its been pretty low at times, and its dumping the stuff out all the time, not just at high speeds. Could it be because its getting too hot?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Normally the only rubber hose at the trans is going to the vacuum modulator. If fluid is leaking out that hose it indicates the modulator is ruptured and allowing fluid to leak out and be sucked into the intake. Pull the hose off and if it has fluid in it you have a bad modulator.Is the leak at the back or the side of the trans?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts