Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting from manual to power steering in my 67 fairlane. Is all the linkage, steering box etc all identical? It sure looks that way. If so do I only need a pump, hoses, control valve and ram to convert it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. This page is great. I am new to the classic car restoration scene so it is very helpful. I have always been a newer late model mustang guy but have had a love for alod Fairlanes and Mustangs so when I got the chance to pick up my 67 project I jumped at it. So much to learn but pretty fun.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Hey Irnman, Google "Chockostang" they're out of TX and I think his name is Dan.....he can get you a complete conversion set up for that 67 easy. He only deals with Fords and knows them inside and out. That's where I get all my stock suspension/steering parts for my 66.

He's a great guy and will go out of his way to help you, all genuine Ford parts too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I am converting from manual to power steering in my 67 fairlane. Is all the linkage, steering box etc all identical? It sure looks that way. If so do I only need a pump, hoses, control valve and ram to convert it?
hey irnman, my advice is dont do it.

i had 'power steering' which its really power assist on both my 67s.

on my GTA i converted to manual steering. best decision of my life.
the amount of money you would have to put into making it power assist out ways the results you will get.

in my 67 convertable the power assist is alright works well but it has some play in the steering. and the contol valve and pump are new. ok for cruising.
but the reason i took it out of GTA was that the contol valve and pump were bad. i drove it fast so i needed gooood steering, it was soooo hard to steer. seeing the almost 0 improvement
when replacing the overly $$$ parts and getting little improvement. i decided to go manual steering. smooth no play in the steering and i can drive it with one finger :). if your manual steering is loose and or has some play in the steering. then i can tell you how to tighten up the gear box.

if so PM me if interested.

·
Registered
326 Posts
my power steering works like a dream , maybe to good ... I can go lock to lock with one finger sitting still.... driving it,it never gets hard or lacks. only con I can think of when cold and I first start it for the day it will bark alittle if I try turning. so I just let the car run a few min first....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts