Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 67 Hardtop has the standard hubcaps instead of the full wheel covers. The wheels are painted black, the car is turquoise. My question is this: were the wheels painted body color or black from the factory? Most of the photos of 66-67 Fairlanes that I've seen (with hubcaps instead of wheelcovers) have the wheels painted the body color. Mine is an Atlanta car if it makes a difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It depends. Mostly steel wheels were painted black and body color was an option ($). You need to check the OPTION LISTING for your year make and model to be correct if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have any literature on options....

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've always thought the painted wheels was a dealer option and not factory. This question was brought up before... but can't find the forum where I read it. If it looks good to you, paint them. It's easy to paint them black again.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I've always thought the painted wheels was a dealer option and not factory. This question was brought up before... but can't find the forum where I read it. If it looks good to you, paint them. It's easy to paint them black again.
Factory assembly (build sheet)

I would imagine most dealers would paint them for you but at a cost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that I think about it, I can't remember ever seeing a body color wheel in a junkyard, and I've spent a lot of time in old junkyards.....

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Kul it right, it's all based on the options picked with the car. I've seen some models with painted rims and I've seen thousands of other models that were all black in every instance I've seen, but...

I'm sure you could get Pinto wheels to match but I doubt the factory ever got that order :) Higher end cars are where the picky customer is located most of the time.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
The body-color wheels were never popular as it's a bit too much un-bordered color for the average person's eye. I'm in that group that thinks body-color wheels are fugly, but I do have one exception. I tend to like them if they are bordered and only show as an accent of color - not in-your-face. So, I can get along with wheels that have a center cap and either a trim ring or perhaps a whitewall, leaving the body color as a matching or complimentary accent of color. But, that's me. A few folks like it for reasons in their history, like some old NASCAR painted wheels, beater hotrods, and flower-power VWs.

David

·
Registered
407 Posts
I plan on painting my 62's the body color... But I have the original full hub caps... Thinking of dog dishes also, but not too sure on that...

Here's a picture of the drivers fender... Still have a loooooot to do before the whole car get painted....

What ya think of the color?.... One of a kind, it's my own mix... I named the color "Baby Viking Blue"... How many of you get the pun?. This picture was taken when the paint was wet.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You're good (IMO). The color keyed wheels will show even with full wheel covers (color band). It was once a common look. My father bought a 64 FALCON 4DR ( :frown: ) that had color keyed wheels (light blue) and just center caps. It would have looked atrocious with black wheels.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just learned that my car has the Granada disc brake conversion on the front, and from what I understand, the original wheels don't fit the Granada spindles. So how do I identify the correct wheels if I go junkyard hunting? I plan to change to '69 Mustang discs in the future, which I belive the correct wheels fit.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Just learned that my car has the Granada disc brake conversion on the front, and from what I understand, the original wheels don't fit the Granada spindles.

So how do I identify the correct wheels if I go junkyard hunting? I plan to change to '69 Mustang discs in the future, which I belive the correct wheels fit.
If you go to 69 MUST front discs, you will need a steel wheel of that period that will fit over the calipers (wider offset). The 67 FAIRLANE disc wheel was for the low profile KH front dics. Are you going with 14" or 15"?

IMO, if going to color keyed steel wheels, they would look better with center caps as it would make the car appear as a performance car. Full wheel covers give the appearance of a family or luxury model.

B!TCHIN SHOWN BELOW

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At this point I'm gonna leave it alone and rethink the whole brakes/wheels thing.....I've got plenty of other things to work on.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts