Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I did a 100 foot burnout in first gear (C6 auto) and now when I put it back in first it just sits there and seems under load when reving. If driving slow in drive (10 mph) and I put it in first it screeches to a halt. Someone said I welded clutch plates together. There is supposed to be a auto- manual valve body in the tranny as I dont have to shift up the gears for them to change. I put Lucas treatment in there to free valves as suggested. Repair or replace the tranny?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
What locks it up is you have to have 3 components applied.When starting in 1st gear the forward clutch and overrun clutch are applied,in manuel 1st gear the forward and high/reverse clutch apply.2nd gear is forward clutch and int band .So you need to determine if it is starting in 2nd gear and when you go to manuel low it applies the clutch and locks it in 2 gears which some welded clutches would do,or a broken overrunning clutch.rebuild it with quality parts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What locks it up is you have to have 3 components applied.When starting in 1st gear the forward clutch and overrun clutch are applied,in manuel 1st gear the forward and high/reverse clutch apply.2nd gear is forward clutch and int band .So you need to determine if it is starting in 2nd gear and when you go to manuel low it applies the clutch and locks it in 2 gears which some welded clutches would do,or a broken overrunning clutch.rebuild it with quality parts
Boy did I get the shaft when buying this car. It was $2000 with no tranny. The guy said he would put in a good tranny for $700 more. Seems like when I drove it for the first time there were gear problems. He said he could throw in a manual valve body for an extra $100. Well when I put it in drive it shifts on its own. I am no transmission guy so I will have to take it to a shop where im sure I will get raped on the price. If there were just a few problems with the car that would be ok but seems like a money pit. But I knew it is an old car to begin with. Just wish I had the funds, then no problem. I wanna turn heads when driving it! And sooner than later. Thanks for the answer to my question. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My suggestion is get a tranny from somewere that tests them on a trany dyno after final assembly. Yea its pricy but they give better warrinties and longer ones.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
if youve got room and a fair bit of mechanical ability- and dont mind getting greasy :) - pick up a ATSG manual off ebay, and a soft parts kit, tear into it.

8 yrs ago, my 6 yr old son and I rebuilt the 700R4 in our 85 camaro, its still on the road, had 85 bucks and 3 evenings in it... we had a busted forward sprag, torque converter and most everything else was ok, just threw clutches/seals/revised (1986-up) 29 element sprag($15 used) in it and even reused the oil (it was just changed a few months prior). if you screw it up, pick up another tranny(or whole car- might be cheaper than a rebuild). the ATSG manuals are a terrific tool, think I paid 8 dollars for it :)

a buddy of mine had his 700 r4 rebuilt twice (he bought his 85 camaro a week after seeing mine, and we had similar mileage) he had over 4 grand in those two rebuilds, and got rid of it when the tranny went again.

the way I always looked at things, if its mine and already broke, cant hurt to try...worst case totally ruin the thing, but it can be cheap to try, AND good to learn :)
Tim

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if youve got room and a fair bit of mechanical ability- and dont mind getting greasy :) - pick up a ATSG manual off ebay, and a soft parts kit, tear into it.

8 yrs ago, my 6 yr old son and I rebuilt the 700R4 in our 85 camaro, its still on the road, had 85 bucks and 3 evenings in it... we had a busted forward sprag, torque converter and most everything else was ok, just threw clutches/seals/revised (1986-up) 29 element sprag($15 used) in it and even reused the oil (it was just changed a few months prior). if you screw it up, pick up another tranny(or whole car- might be cheaper than a rebuild). the ATSG manuals are a terrific tool, think I paid 8 dollars for it :)

a buddy of mine had his 700 r4 rebuilt twice (he bought his 85 camaro a week after seeing mine, and we had similar mileage) he had over 4 grand in those two rebuilds, and got rid of it when the tranny went again.

the way I always looked at things, if its mine and already broke, cant hurt to try...worst case totally ruin the thing, but it can be cheap to try, AND good to learn :)
Tim
Thanks so much Tim. You gave me confidence to try this project out with my son. He has never had greasy hands in his life and its time for him to get his first car and learn a few things. I dont want to be under his car on Monday and have to be under mine the rest of the week. We are going to get the manual and kit soon as the weather breaks here in Buffalo Ny. I have no garage so the driveway will have to do. I will update soon as something happens, thanks. Shawn

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My suggestion is get a tranny from somewere that tests them on a trany dyno after final assembly. Yea its pricy but they give better warrinties and longer ones.
If I dont tackle this myself thats what I will do. No use in doing and spending cash on body work and wheels if I cant drive it first. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if it shifts on its own, he did not install a manual valve body...you may want to get your $100 back.
I tried that. He said it was an automatic-manual valve body. And I drove 3 hours to get the car from where I bought it. Add in the fact that this guy was a shady character to begin with and the whole deal to get this car from the start was a strange 6 week ordeal. I have learned another life lesson.

·
Subscriber
764 Posts
Tried several times over the past few days and this webpage is not working. Thanks though.
Call him- he'll answer. He's got more stuff than is listed on the webpage, anyway.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience- i've got a similar one with my '65 pickup. i like to think the previous owner just didn't know how bad it was, rather than being really dishonest with me. (at least- that's how i keep from getting really angry.)

suffice it to say...i've now learned to crawl over every inch of a vehicle before purchase.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Call him- he'll answer. He's got more stuff than is listed on the webpage, anyway.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience- i've got a similar one with my '65 pickup. i like to think the previous owner just didn't know how bad it was, rather than being really dishonest with me. (at least- that's how i keep from getting really angry.)

suffice it to say...i've now learned to crawl over every inch of a vehicle before purchase.
Well thats a good way of thinking of things. In my case this guy was a rat. He knew exactally what he was lying about. I gave him $1500 without the car even running as down payment. Had to leave and wait for the tranny to be put in. Several weeks of him not returning calls and texts I had to go out there.When I pulled up to his garage after the 3 hour ride there were forclosure stickers on the door that were sliced to open the garage. Still couldnt get ahold of him. Then when he called me back I got more run around. Fast forward a few more weeks and I go to pick up the car. He had a title from Boston (were in NY) from 7 years ago that he gave me. The previous owners name was on there. He wouldnt sign the back and wouldnt give me a reciept. He told me to make my own reciept with forging the old owners signature or get in touch with him. This was after I paid in full. The previous owner wanted nothing to do with helping me out. (this was after a week of research getting a hold of him.
Oh crap I am rambling! But thats only half my story! Ha!

·
Subscriber
764 Posts
yeah...that IS pretty bad...

well- as long as the car is solid, the rest can be taken care of with enough time and elbow grease.

between ordering parts from Broader Performance (over the phone), and the video from BadShoe, I managed to tear down and rebuild a C6. i ain't saying it was easy...

i haven't had the opportunity to install it yet, so i can't say "huge success" or anything. but with some patience, and a few decent tools, you replace the soft parts for $100 or so.

with all that said- i also had another tranny rebuilt by a local shop. i pulled it myself, had them rebuild it, and had them reinstall it. that cost $300.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah...that IS pretty bad...

well- as long as the car is solid, the rest can be taken care of with enough time and elbow grease.

between ordering parts from Broader Performance (over the phone), and the video from BadShoe, I managed to tear down and rebuild a C6. i ain't saying it was easy...

i haven't had the opportunity to install it yet, so i can't say "huge success" or anything. but with some patience, and a few decent tools, you replace the soft parts for $100 or so.

with all that said- i also had another tranny rebuilt by a local shop. i pulled it myself, had them rebuild it, and had them reinstall it. that cost $300.
Well for that price, $300 to $400 I might take it to a local shop myself. I have so much more to do on my own. Shocks, springs, control arms, bushings, brakes etc. If I try to do the tranny with a kit it may not work right once reinstalled as I have never had any dealings with one before.
Good luck on your future projects and thanks for chatting with me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would suggest deleting post 14... Its a small world, dont need stuff like that getting around :)
Haha thanks. I Told my horror story to so many people over and over again and didnt even realize I was incriminating myself! Edited it. Cheers brother

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello. I did a 100 foot burnout in first gear (C6 auto) and now when I put it back in first it just sits there and seems under load when reving. If driving slow in drive (10 mph) and I put it in first it screeches to a halt. Someone said I welded clutch plates together. There is supposed to be a auto- manual valve body in the tranny as I dont have to shift up the gears for them to change. I put Lucas treatment in there to free valves as suggested. Repair or replace the tranny?
Upgate...did nothing and now first gear is back!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts