Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 67 Galaxie 500 with the original tranny, but the motor has been changed. Its a 460 out of a 1970 lincoln mark III. The only thing im having issues with is there is a piece that was cut out of the firewall directly behind the pedals. I have a couple options im thinking about. 1st, I'm thinking about just placing a sheet metal and welding it in drilling holes for anything that is runs through the firewall. If i do that i need to find some type of manual to see what the original firewall looked like. 2nd, a false firewall. And finally 3rd, replacing the whole firewall. I have been looking through the internet trying to find a company that makes firewalls or trying to find shop manuals to see how everything looked. I'm not going for a full restoration. It's going to be a resto-mod, but i still want need these manuals for help and other tips to get this beauty running. Im trying to do this on a budget, if that helps any. I will be posting pictures soon. Thank you for your help. Also if you could post links that would be great.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I would cut the missing section of firewall out of a donor car and patch your existing firewall. This would be much easier than replacing the whole firewall.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Are you saying that a piece of the firewall, behind the gas pedal has been cut out and there is an uncovered hole to the engine compartment? If so, how big is the hole, and can you see any obvious reason why it was done. I have a 67 with 460, others on here also have them, and there was no need to do anything to the firewall to do the swap.

If my camera battery is OK I will take a picture of the area behind the gas pedal from inside the car later today.

No one in the world makes firewalls for a 1967 Galaxie, if you want one you have to find one in a junk yard and pay them to cut it out. Unless you have extensive issues with the hole, it is far easier and cheaper to repair it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I just reread your post and noticed the original transmission statement. So, you have a C6 and believe it was the original transmission that came with the car. Sorry, you have a C6 that came with the Lincoln in the 70's most likely. The 460 uses a different C6 bellhousing and bolt pattern than the 390/FE engines of the 60s and early 70s, and to my knowledge no one makes an adapter. So your transmission can't be the original one that came with the 390. If someone knows different, chime in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you saying that a piece of the firewall, behind the gas pedal has been cut out and there is an uncovered hole to the engine compartment? If so, how big is the hole, and can you see any obvious reason why it was done. I have a 67 with 460, others on here also have them, and there was no need to do anything to the firewall to do the swap.

If my camera battery is OK I will take a picture of the area behind the gas pedal from inside the car later today.

No one in the world makes firewalls for a 1967 Galaxie, if you want one you have to find one in a junk yard and pay them to cut it out. Unless you have extensive issues with the hole, it is far easier and cheaper to repair it.

This owner I bought the car from said there was rust on the fairwall and it needed to be cut out. From just looking at the hole without measuring it, the hole looks about 12"x12". I was just thinking about putting sheet metal to cover the hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts