Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having problems with my 289 stalling,i rebuilt the 2barrell
carb and it was running good. but now it stalls, i was thinking that
it may be the fuel pump but have been told that they either work or dont work. i have tried 2 different coils but it still stalls,it doesn't sputter or slowly die of it just drops dead all of the sudden.any help would be great.thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That isn`t true about mechanical pumps. I replaced a mechanical pump in a 7.3 diesel a month ago that you had to crank for 5 minutes before any pressure built up. It built up press. very slowly. Watching a fuel press gauge, when it got to 5 psi it fired up and would run all day long. Let it sit overnight, same thing next morning. I put a pump on it and good to go now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rcm600 on 6/8/06 4:40am ]</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it starts just fine but when i am driving or sometimes at idle it will just stall. it stalls alot when i am driving.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe check the engine ground strap. Are you running points? Maybe check those as well.
Maybe clogged fuel filter or fuel line?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 6/8/06 6:04am ]</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new fuel filter,new points,new plugs at carb rebuild{100 miles ago} no ground issues. i think i may change out the fuel pump anyway to see if that is what it is,i just didn't want to replace it if its not the problem.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
If this is a stock motor then just replace it. Its dirt cheap and easy to eliminate not to mention piece of mind. If it were a high dollar 200+ buck pump I would be worried. Autozone should work great for you.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Is it stalling while idling in traffic or when you just drop it in drive? If so, that 2v came with an anti stall dashpot I believe and it has to be set to 'gently' let the throttle plates close rather that slam shut abruptly when you take your foot of the accelerator. Maybe it went out of adjustment when you tore the carb apart. Food for thought.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rcodenewf on 6/9/06 10:52pm ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts