Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1967 Galaxie conv. When I got it home I found that the frame had rot. I can patch it, but I would have to seporate the frame from the body. I thougth it would be on the road sooner if I find a donor frame and just do a swap.

I found a 1967 fast back as the donor. It has Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes and a better suspension than the conv frame. The donor came with four 15 inch wheels (no spare). Three wheels have a 4 inch back spacing with the markings: KW, 66, 5, and some kind of logo (possibly ford). The other wheel has a 3 7/8 backing spacing and the markings: K2 over 8, D, 5, and TC over 16.

So my question is does any one know if there should have been five of the KW wheels or should it have been three KW and two K2.

Next question, of course, is where can I find the needed wheel(s)?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The donor came with four 15 inch wheels (no spare). Three wheels have a 4 inch back spacing with the markings: KW, 66, 5, and some kind of logo (possibly ford). The other wheel has a 3 7/8 backing spacing and the markings: K2 over 8, D, 5, and TC over 16.

So my question is does any one know if there should have been five of the KW wheels or should it have been three KW and two K2.

Next question, of course, is where can I find the needed wheel(s)?
Of course, all of the wheels should be the same. I am assuming the three are correct.

Any large salvage yard with a HOLLANDERS INTERCHANGE MANUAL should be able to find you wheels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course, all of the wheels should be the same. I am assuming the three are correct.

Any large salvage yard with a HOLLANDERS INTERCHANGE MANUAL should be able to find you wheels.
Thanks Kultulz. Makes sence. The three KW wheels have more room to handle the KH calapers. Guess I need to find two more.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Depending on the condition of the KH system on that frame (rotors, calipers...) it might be cheaper to pick up a disc brake setup off a 70's Ford and swap it in while it's all apart (if you are set on having disc brakes). The KH rotors are $100-150 each and rebuilt calipers run around the same each if I remember right. You can get rebuild kits for the calipers for a decent price.

Also from what I have heard it is hard to fit an aftermarket rim over those big calipers. Would stink to source out the rims and then find you need to spend a bunch of money getting those brakes working.

My LTD has these brakes and I'm leaving it alone for now as everything works. I do know the PO swapped the rotors at some point as there was an old set in the trunk when I bought the car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on the condition of the KH system on that frame (rotors, calipers...) it might be cheaper to pick up a disc brake setup off a 70's Ford and swap it in while it's all apart (if you are set on having disc brakes). The KH rotors are $100-150 each and rebuilt calipers run around the same each if I remember right. You can get rebuild kits for the calipers for a decent price.

Also from what I have heard it is hard to fit an aftermarket rim over those big calipers. Would stink to source out the rims and then find you need to spend a bunch of money getting those brakes working.

My LTD has these brakes and I'm leaving it alone for now as everything works. I do know the PO swapped the rotors at some point as there was an old set in the trunk when I bought the car.
fordman289, All good points.
The KH system is in good shape. I believe I can rebuild it for a little cheaper that replacing with a 70's swap. And if i can rebuild I don't have to worry about the geometry on the swapped system.

As far as aftermarket wheels, I haven't found any wheels that will fit over the calipers with out using a spacer. If I can't find a couple KW steel wheels I may need to rethink the whole disc brake idea and use the drum brakes currently on the conv.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If you do decide to ditch the KH Disc, please don't can them. Let the board know please.

·
Registered
653 Posts
fordman289, All good points.
The KH system is in good shape. I believe I can rebuild it for a little cheaper that replacing with a 70's swap. And if i can rebuild I don't have to worry about the geometry on the swapped system.

As far as aftermarket wheels, I haven't found any wheels that will fit over the calipers with out using a spacer. If I can't find a couple KW steel wheels I may need to rethink the whole disc brake idea and use the drum brakes currently on the conv.
The four-piston brakes are better than any of the later single-piston setups, Ford ditched them because more parts and more machined surfaces mean considerably higher costs. Fixed-mount calipers can also be more sensitive to rotor and wheel bearing runout (more vibration in the pedal and/or pad knockback.)

What kind of wheels are you looking to put on that car? What kind of caliper clearance do you need (how far does the caliper body sticks out past the hub face)?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The four-piston brakes are better than any of the later single-piston setups, Ford ditched them because more parts and more machined surfaces mean considerably higher costs. Fixed-mount calipers can also be more sensitive to rotor and wheel bearing runout (more vibration in the pedal and/or pad knockback.)

What kind of wheels are you looking to put on that car? What kind of caliper clearance do you need (how far does the caliper body sticks out past the hub face)?
JEM, Right now I want to put the KH steel wheels back on the car. I know they will fit. Then I can spend the time to figure out what after market wheels will work. Just had shoulder surgery so I can't take the wheel off to measure how far the calaper sticks out. As soon I as I can I will post it here.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Correct. The KH caliper had the problem of piston(s) sticking but that was more of a lack of service than actual service failure. Stainless Steel Brakes used to offer stainless steel re-sleeving of the piston bores to overcome this problem. If one just changed the brake fluid on a regular basis, there would be practically no hydraulic failure.

The original FORD P&A Service PN on the KH wheels was C5SZ 1007-A.

The MPC TEXT reads (please bow and remove your headgear :bow: )...

66/67 A (denotes full size car) Exc 71 (SW), P/C - 15 X 5.5
Note 2- Used for service replacement of all five wheels W disc front brakes

This should be able to get your search started. Make sure that the wheels you find have the same stampings.

EDIT-

65-67 galaxie tbird KH disk brake wheels - 460 Ford Forum

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/424230-65-67-disk-brake-wheels.html

EDIT (2nd)-
I should have mentioned... The C5SZ denotes 1965 BIRD but the wheel was also used on other applications. Also think MERC when you start searching.

Hope this helps.

Another EDIT-

This thread should be attached here I believe to tie all info together-

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/511456-caliper-hardware.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct. The KH caliper had the problem of piston(s) sticking but that was more of a lack of service than actual service failure. Stainless Steel Brakes used to offer stainless steel re-sleeving of the piston bores to overcome this problem. If one just changed the brake fluid on a regular basis, there would be practically no hydraulic failure.

The original FORD P&A Service PN on the KH wheels was C5SZ 1007-A.

The MPC TEXT reads (please bow and remove your headgear :bow: )...

66/67 A (denotes full size car) Exc 71 (SW), P/C - 15 X 5.5
Note 2- Used for service replacement of all five wheels W disc front brakes

This should be able to get your search started. Make sure that the wheels you find have the same stampings.

EDIT-

65-67 galaxie tbird KH disk brake wheels - 460 Ford Forum

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/424230-65-67-disk-brake-wheels.html

EDIT (2nd)-
I should have mentioned... The C5SZ denotes 1965 BIRD but the wheel was also used on other applications. Also think MERC when you start searching.

Hope this helps.

Another EDIT-

This thread should be attached here I believe to tie all info together-

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/511456-caliper-hardware.html
Thanks Kultulz. Feeling better about finding the right part now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts